Need advice/ encouragement.... Weight issues!

edited March 2012 in Health
Okay so I gained over 70 pounds while being pregnant. Gave birth in November. I have been working my butt off to lose it! It wasn't going anywhere so my Dr put me on phentermine, I thought great! I've heard people who barely work out lose a lot on that. Been doing insanity and working out on my elliptical machine 2 to 3 hours a day. I had been slowly adding more time on the elliptical. Well I lost 6 pounds in 7 days and thought awesome, this is working! Then I stopped right there! I finally lost 2 more pounds last week and them gained them back :'( so I'm going to the Dr to have him check and see if it's a thyroid issue.... Has anyone had a thyroid issue and what do they do about it? Also, if it's not my thyroid what else could it be? I want to make sure my Dr covers everything. Really really tired of being this over weight! I've never had weight problems like this before! I'm 5'2 and stuck at 170 pounds.

Comments

• Are you eating a healthier diet and drinking plenty of fluids? Calorie free fluids?

I'm wondering if you are either over restricting your caloric needs or exceeding them. Either one will hinder your weight loss goals.
  • I'm eating around 1000 calories a day. Dr told me not to exceed 1200. Drink mostly water, chamomile tea at night. 2 eggs for breakfast, tangerines or apples for snack, a meal replacement shake, chicken and small salad fit dinner.....
  • For the amount of exercise you are doing you are restricting too much. Id try at least 1200 kcals/day, no less and ease up on the cardio. Try it for a week, see how it works for you.
  • How would that help? Curious... Not sarcastic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks ladies , I'll try that.
  • You are over doing it for sure. I am 4 ft 11 in and weigh 90 pounds right now. The secret is to not over do it. I love to stay active and dance and we go on hikes. But one thing I know is for me to stay this weight I should eat around 1200 cal a day without working out. So u need to bring down the cardio and stick to about 1200 to 1300 since u r taller then me and trying to lose weight. And I would also switch up my workout routine. Do like 45 min to an hour of catdio then next day do weight training bc the biggest thing about losing weight and staying small is having muscle., because muscle is what continues to burn calories throughout the day even after your done with your work out. Cardio helps lose pounds but u cant keep it off unless u have muscle to burn it. And I personally wouldn't be on any pill or crazy diet. Ive always said that the only diet anyone should be on, is one they can continue for the rest of their life and make the healthy eating and normal amount of exercising as your life style. And number one don't stress bc with most people that puts on the pounds.
  • @smcox, as HBA, said if you restrict your body will only store during your next feeding. The concept of feast and famine takes place. Your metabolism will slow to maintain your basal metabolic rate, the amount of energy it requires to survive without any physical exertion. Once you incorporate exercise your energy intake increases. If you are restricting and over exerting you are placing excessive strain on your body and will do everything to survive, including retaining fluids and fat.

Try to refrain from weighing but once a week. Same time of day. Our bodies fluctuate so much throughout the day. Good luck and be patient. = 0)
  • With thyroid the Dr will give you pills. I have had issues with mine but not bad but my aunt had horrible issues. I'm 5'3 172 and I do some cardio and do weight training but I don't go crazy lol and I eat whatever and I'm losing weight slowly. I don't workout every day. It's best if you don't. Give your body rest and try to relax about it a little. Plus the pills the Dr gave you could be disagreeing with you:( but hey look at your mommy weight as trophy weight:) it will come off eventually so keep your head up mama
  • I'm 5'3", used to weigh 120 and and got up to 215 when I was pregnant, I had hypothyroidism before the pregnancy and it came back.(I couldn't lose weight and was like OH HELL NO lol) My doctors were absolutely useless, so I did some research and bought a iodine and selenium supplement (and it has an extra B vitamin for energy) and I feel amazing and the weight keeps coming off I'm so happy! I had my baby in November too I'm already down to 160. It's safe if you're breastfeeding and all that. MOST postpartum women have it and doctors don't do anything about it unless it's severe!

http://www.1-thyroid.com/ There's information on hypothyroidism and whatnot.

http://www.1-thyroid.com/order.htm the link to order it. :-D

I've bought it from there several times. Best thing I've ever done for myself.
  • Awesome, thanks for the info @beawesome I really appreciate it!