first night with the newborn :(

edited March 2012 in Babies
Well its the first night with our newborn and she's so cranky or something. Tonights the last night we should be at the hospital, but its the first night they let her out of the nicu and in our room. When they had here over there she was like a perfect angel. And now that we have her all she is doing and crying. My fiance is fast asleep. She tried helping for a bitbbut nothing worked, they only thing keeping her from screaming is her sleeping on my chest in the recliner. I did everything I can think of, diapers, feeding, swaddling. I dont really no what to do and tonight they have like bitchest nurses ever. So it 3am and daddy is dead tired and its only day 1. Is it bad to let them stay on your chest. I dont mind it but I dont want it to ruin her independent sleeping habbits?

Comments

• That tiny.... The more skin contact the better. It will get easier I swear. Try rocking her. My daughter spent 4 days in the nicu, I didn't get to snuggle with her til we got home. You can't hold them too much.
  • I love snuggling her. Im just so confused. I feel like Im missing something. My daughter was in for 4 days as well and I would go over like a hundred times a day and she would always be so peaceful and sleeping. And now I have her and she hasn't done anything but scream for almost 4 hrs now :(
  • Have you checked the diaper and see if she needed to be fed? :)
  • the first night is always rough honey but baby will settle, both my kids were just the same, they just need time to adjust to the outside x
  • and letting her sleep on your chest is just fine. try talking to her, she knows your voice, and stroking my LOs face always helps her to settle.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I agree with the others & think its fine to let her sleep on you, my little boy would only sleep on me or daddy at the beginning. I didn't plan on co-sleeping but it was the only way we'd both get any sleep at night, he's now quite happy to sleep in his Moses basket & has done since about a month old :)
  • It's ok take a deep breath. Like the other ladies said the more skin to skin the better. Also, your little one will pick up on your nervousness so try to keep calm. Maybe she wants to eat. When Ollie was still in the hospital it seemed he wanted to eat every hour.
  • edited March 2012
    Aadyn was sooo hard to handle the first night. I was terrified it would be like that forever lol. He was up all night screaming, wouldnt hold a bottle down & didnt sleep hardly at all. I slept with him in my arms. The first few weeks was pretty rough. Our first son was an angel from day one, so we werent used to the constant screaming. If it makes you feel better though, he started sleeping through the night (8hrs) at about 7 weeks old. It will be rough for awhile, but it DOES get better. Do whatever it takes for the baby to sleep. Laying on your chest, sleeping in the bed with you...anything! Newborns dont really have a schedule, so theres nothing you can do that will "ruin" it. Goodluck hun and update us on how things are going
  • Thanks everyone. The second nite went so much better. She only got up about 3 times and she went right back to sleep in her crib. I have to say I was worried after the first nite that it was going to be rough but now Im feeling more confident :)
  • The more practice, the better you both become!
  • Thats how it was with aadyn. The first night was pure hell. The 2nd went much better. We still had it rough for a couple weeks, but he is an angel now & has been since about.7 weeks old. Im glad the 2nd night went better for you!