? about birth control shot

I jus got my birth control shot Wednesday an I read that herbal vitamins can make it not work I'm wanting to take the green tea pills does that effect birth control ? Maybe @ HomeBirthAdvocate or @captivated ?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mrz_Jackson I personally would say it depends on which ones you take. I know plenty of people that have taken the all natural green teas pills with no problems.
  • edited March 2012
    You could always ask your doctor as well however, they may say no just because lots of doctors don't like people using natural products. Just my experience. Good Luck :)
  • I'm checking my drug book. Give me a few :) I don't know if it will answer your question, but I'll look!
  • @Heather3rdgirl dr's don't ? That's weird wonder y !
  • Hmm, found some interesting info!

Depo should not be used as a long term birth control (over 2 years) because of it's severe loss of bone marrow density (I've administered so many depo shots and I never knew this!) I know that's totally off on your question, my bad!

Women with a significant history of breast cancer or history of breast cancer should not use depo (I didn't know this either!).

And to answer your question, they CAN alter the effectiveness of your birth control. Any herbal product that contains enzymes (especially CYP3A4) should be "counselled to use additional contraceptive". Drugs that can affect this are: bosentan, barbiturates, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, rifampin, St Johns Wart, topiramate and a ton of others that will take forever to type. Look at the ingredients on what medicine/vitamin you want to take and see if any of this is in there?

Hope this helped a little bit!
  • edited March 2012
    @heather3rdgirl is right. Why they don't? Because they are paid big bucks by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe medications. OTC meds take money out of these corporation and doctor's pockets :-q

(and many aren't approved by the FDA which is another reason. They don't consider it safe. Though the FDA is shady as it is).
  • @captivated :( scary ! I'm def not takin it very long ! Well dang nevermind on that then lol
  • I'm so scared of cancer !
  • It says not to use with a history or extensive family history because of cancer being hormonally sensitive. So ANY hormonal contraceptive can increase the spread/growth of cancer. If you have never had cancer and just have a family history, it says not to use or to use under strict supervision. I'm sure a lot of women who have someone in their family with breast and cervical cancers are just fine. I found that interesting :) Definitely not meant to scare you!
  • @captivated cancer is kinda bad n my family so I'm always scared of it ! Ugh idk Wat to do lol
  • @captivated if I decided I want my pills bak culd I take them while the shot is still n my system ?
  • I really wouldn't recommend it because of all the hormones. :( If you'd like to go off of it, I would wait until you are due for your next shot and begin your pills then. With the cancer history that I was speaking about, it's not just specifically depo. It's all hormonal birth control and only with breast and cervical cancers. So switching to birth control pills would technically have the same exact risk.

I'd call your doctor and ask about the pills, but I'm pretty sure you would need to wait until the depo is done. I'm not too sure!
  • But please don't be scared, I feel horrible now for saying that. The chances of it affecting it if you yourself aren't in remission from a type of cancer is pretty low. I mean, it's still there, but talk to your doc! I'm sure he/she would have some better advice than me :)
  • @captivated @Mrz_Jackson That's why I stopped taking hormonal birth control, because I was told it was feeding my cervical cancer!
  • @captivated I'm kinda glad u told me I want to avoid any cancer risk I can lol is there any nonharmonal birth controls ??
  • @Heather3rdgirl Wat kind of birth control do u use wen it not prego ?
  • There is only ONE non-hormonal birth control. That is the ParaGard (copper) IUD. You can try other natural options, but the effectiveness is slightly lower.

*Withdrawal, calendar method, temperature method, mucus method.
    *Male condoms, female condoms, cervical cap, spermicides and diaphragm.
  • edited March 2012
    @captivated @Mrz_Jackson
    Yes the paraguard iud. It worked great for 5 years untill it feel out. I went to the Dr my cancer had come back very low grade and I was now pregnant! Well we lost it due to the iud it torn my sac on the way out. Long story short I had a new one put in because I loved it, well I had two more losses. Which ended in us deciding even though it was bad timing to have more now due to health risk of waiting. So we were waiting 2 months, well 2 months came along and the day before I my appt to talk about taking it out guess what I found out "I was pregnant".

So I don't know if that helps you or not. I am not the normal case.
  • edited March 2012
    Oh wow! @heather3rdgirl. What is going on with your cancer now? Were they able to remove it? Or is it an ongoing issue at the moment?

I'm sorry if you've spoken about it before and if I missed it. I know how annoying it can be to always repeat.
  • edited March 2012
    @captivated My hormone change that comes with being pregnant makes it go away. It happened with both my other daughters as well. I was on the operating table to have all my baby making organs removed when I found out I was prego with my oldest daughter. :) It's pretty amazing my daughters save my life :) After I have Sophie I am getting on the mini pill due to the fact I will be ebf again and we really want a boy, so we are going to sit down when she is about a year old, to decided 100% for sure if we are trying again, or done.
  • @captivated how wuld I do the diaphragm do I get it at my gyn ? Sorry for ?'s I no nuthn about this stuff

@Heather3rdgirl I'm gona consider the iud jus kinda scary always hear bad stories my friend had mirana an it attached to her uterus
  • @Mrz_Jackson My doctor will NOT give anyone Mirena for that same reason. Mirena has hormones, and that does happen more often then most doctor's will admit. Paragaurd however doesn't have hormones. I really loved it.
  • @heather3rdgirl, your story is so awesome. Mine is a little similar in that they went to remove an "ectopic pregnancy" with my son and found last minute that it wasn't, but then told me to have it done anyways because he would be born with defects from chemo. I am on the mini pill now. I like it!

@mrz_jackson, yes. You get it from your doctor and use it in conjunction with spermicide. The effectiveness is great! Personally, I wouldn't recommend IUD. I know many women have great results, but working in the OB office, we had multiple women come in with misplaced IUD's. My best friend almost died at my house when it perforated her uterus and she began to hemorrhage. It was such a scary day. :(
  • @captivated They told me the same shit twice, I told the Dr children are perfect gifts from god and my child was going to be nothing less and left. I already have 2 beautiful daughters to prove they were WRONG twice, and another who should be here at the very latest on Monday.
  • @captivated ok I'm feel so dumb I've never used any of that stuff don't evn no Wat to look for lmao! Well atleast I have a few months to make my mind up I so wish the pullout method worked ! An Omg that is really scary about ur friend !
  • Haha! I wish the POM worked too!! It is 60% effective. :-((