rice or oatmeal???

edited March 2012 in Food
So ped suggested rice cereal bit its makkng lo constipated. Hes 4.5 mon and has had rice for 2 weeks now. Can give oatmeal instead? I normally do cereal in the morning and then veggies/fruits for dinner, am I overdoing it? Little confused on solids since so many different suggestions out there...

Comments

• I would go with the oatmeal. Natural tho for less saturated fats n all the crap they put in baby products
  • We never did cereal.. started with oatmeal... I think its lighter on the bowels... My nephew had issues with cereal and so they did oatmeal and we just started there...
  • Do you feed.him oatmeal every single day???
  • My baby loves oatmeal I only fed her rice for like a week cuz it made her constipated she eats it a lot better
  • My lo is hasnt pooped in 3 days so Im gonna try a single grain oatmeal instead.
  • He does get oatmeal everyday. About 4-5tbls with an oz of breastmilk and then mix it with 1/2 container of stage 2 food... he loves his food!! Lol... but he ate it minus the food for a while...
  • Thats a good idea... I.could mix it with a jar of fruit.. thx! :">
  • My pedi said barley is less binding than either rice or oatmeal, and it tastes pretty much the same as the oatmeal. Dillon was having A LOT of trouble pooping til we switched to barley. We also mix it with pear juice rather than formula (on pedi's recommendation) and he's pooping SO much better. When I say he was having troubles pooping, he would SCREAM and his poo was so rock solid his butthole would bleed a little bit. @babyhope7 bc of his pooping issues he also is given 1-2oz of pear juice or 1/2 jar of pears with the cereal daily, and prune juice if he seems constipated. His poo is back to normal now.
  • We also had to back off on the solids for a few days then start fresh...and SLOWLY had to increase his intake. We started rice @ 4 months with pedi's suggestion. He's 7 months in a few days and is just now able to eat 3 meals/day without having bowel issues. It took us 2.5 months to get to that and to figure out what works with him. It was rough bc he loves food and would want more but I couldn't give more than 3tbsp/day of solids or he'd literally be screaming while he pooped. It broke my heart. Now we're up to 2tbsp of cereal in the AM with 1.5tbsp fruit and 2-2.5tbsp veggies at lunch and dinner.

Pedi also said it's very important to help them keep their bowels soft bc even at a young age (this was at his 6 month appt) they can learn to hold in their poo if it hurts to go and that's not good.
  • We just started foods recently & switched to oatmeal too because my son was getting constipated from the rice. Our pedi said to offer it rgt after nursing tho, but then he's full & only takes 1tbsp. Are you ladies offering foods rgt after breastfeeding/formula or between feedings? His weight is low as is, so we'd like him to eat a little more.
  • My babygirl will b 7 months on the 8 and she has been eating oatmeal since about 5 months she loves it she does not like the rice cereal:)
  • Thx ladies for all the comments, I gave lo a break for few days and now we are on our way to get him some single grain oatmeal and see how that works out :)
  • I used oatmeal