cant carry a certain gender??

edited April 2012 in Getting pregnant
So a friend mentioned something she heard a while ago and it got me thinking. Wanted to get yalls take on it...

She said that some women cannot physically carry a certain gender to term... Typically boys. Something to do with the woman's body rejecting male chromosomes or her body unable to adapt to the hormone changes a boy causes vs a girl. Googled it and several women have stories of losing their baby boys and difficult pregnancies... But when they had girls, it was smooth sailing.

What do Yall think??? Plausible?

Comments

• Plausible. But most likely rare. I hope this isn't true.
  • I just found the study on it. It only affects secondary miscarriages, meaning women had to have a previous pregnancy lasting at least 22 weeks. Some women's bodies launch an attack on HY antigens. It is extremely rare. The most common cause for first trimester miscarriages are as a result of chromosomal abnormalities meaning baby wasnt conceived with enough chromosomes so when it gets to the point of baby needing that chromosome to grow, it is miscarried. Interesting about the boy thing :)
  • edited April 2012
    Ima try and do some more research on it... "There have been studies that show although the male sperm determines the sex it is the woman's Ph of her uterus that supports a male vs. female, or other way around, fetus." I'm just trying to find the 'studies'
  • @captivated I know all babies begin as girls (at least as far as the sex organs go) but at what point does a boy "turn into" a boy. I know its determined at conception though. I hope I dont sound like an idiot lol
  • Yep, it's only the male that determines the sex of the baby. It depends if the man's sperm contains the X or Y chromosomes. @davidnaadyns mama, you're right, it happens directly at conception. The gonads either turn into ovaries or testes and it develops around six weeks.
  • "A team of doctors from the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children want to raise awareness of how the genetic disease, Barth Syndrome, can lead to the miscarriage and stillbirth of male fetuses, as well as early death of male babies in affected families. ".....

"The Barth Syndrome Service team has been suspicious that Barth Syndrome could cause fetal death ever since the grandmother of one of their patients explained how she had lost three boys late in pregnancy but given birth to three healthy girls. Modern biochemical and genetic testing allowed the doctors to confirm that the disease had caused a total of nine stillbirths, other miscarriages late in pregnancy and 14 male neonatal or infant deaths (but no losses of female fetuses or children) in six families with Barth Syndrome from England."
    http://www.uk-sands.org/no_cache/News/Newspage/article/238/22.html

http://www.barthsyndromeservice.nhs.uk/

@captivated hmmmmmm.... what'cha think.

• I'm not sure about that but it certainly can be simply becasuse anything is possible
  • That's what I read as well when I looked it up. That and another site. Seems to affect later in pregnancy, not first trimester so I don't think you have anything to worry about! :)
  • I just find it really interesting. The concept that somehow a womans body might reject a certain gender. Haha, don't worry, I'm not going all Munchausen or Hypochondirac on yall :(|)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I've miscarried once last may. And at my gender reveal party where we found out its a boy my fil made a comment like maybe you can't carry girls. Definately not something he should have said to me a girl who has always wanted a baby girl! I definately wanted to tell him to stfu! Every 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage. So having one isnt that uncommon.
  • Very interesting!
  • @redshaoe0, LOL :-)) I am very happy to hear that! Hehe. I've tried to find info on it, but so far it seems that there has only been two studies and the results of them weren't too definitive.
  • edited April 2012
    So true story... This is why, when we attend high risk deliveries, it makes a difference to know if they are boy babies who are caucasian. My son was 32 weeks when he was born, and I was all frantic about my "whimpy white boy". Statistically, preterm babies who are male do worse. And this isn't the first time I have heard MC are more likely to be male. Some truth in this gender thing.

Ps been having some beer...or two so if I don't make sense, drink some more? :D
  • I think its interesting because with my son i had all kinds of problems an had him at 35 weeks but my daughter didnt even want to come out at 39 weeks (i had a csection)
  • @captivated yeah I can only find the 2 studies as well. I wish there was more.
    @rtmommy Lmao you make perfect sense!!! Of course I'm a few beers and a Rita down myself listening to some wicked thunder.
    @emy blogs/boards I've looked at all have women full of stories like that... Either they lost their boy or it was a difficult pregnancy.
    @babyluv8 men are stupid sometimes Haha.
  • @RedShadoe0 well I'm taking advantage of the fact that I can't seem to get knocked up!! Alcohol is a perk of the infertile job. lol 3 beers down, maybe a fourth in my future. :D And an afternoon quickie won't hurt my chances...even though we are not putting pressure on stuff this month. ;)
  • @rtmommy Lmao yep!!! I figure I'm at the beginning of my cycle, f it. And watch this be yalls month :)
  • We are only days apart in our cycle. Watch it be BOTH of our months :)!!
  • Sometimes sex is just for fun...and it SHOULD be fun. We forget that ttc and all. No pressure this month may be what it takes.
  • @rtmommy lmao, for no pressure this month, I still found myself buying OPKs, lmao. BD week starts this weekend!!
  • @RedShadoe0 Haha. I'm seriously not doing OPKs. We are just having a lot of sex every other day or whenever we can. We will see if this not focusing on it makes it easier. At least sex doesn't feel like a chore anymore. :)