When to switch rear facing to forward

edited April 2012 in Ages & Stages
Im going to be switching my daughter from rear to forward facing in her car seat at 1 (in a month and a half) i know the recommend age is now 2 but she is almost too tall already to be rear facing is there any moms out there that have/are going to switch at 1?

Comments

• I've switched at almost 9mo. I can't get my son in the seat rear facing without either removing it or the other car seats in my tiny car. You will be fine :)
  • Good i was just wondering what others opinions are since a girl i know always post stuff about babies dying from facing forward too early on my fb page drives me nuts but everyone else i know did it at one
  • If she gets to tall for rear facing then turn it. Just becareful and everything will be fine I'm sure your a safe driver anyways :)
  • I turned my three year old at one and I plan to do the same with my 7 month old too
  • They are rarely too tall for rear facing! its completely fine and recommended that you keep them rear facing for 2 years they just sit with their legs crossed or knees bent. kids are bendy!
  • In fact I know of kids that faced backwards until 4!
  • @heyitsme Mhmm! Better safe than sorry.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mama_Kat The law is 1 year and 20lbs, but they suggest rear facing until 2 now.
  • I wont until 2 he is 6mo now
  • My plan is to wait until he is 2...the safety numbers are just much better as far as crashes if he is rear facing until then.
  • @Homebirthadvocate it should be right on the seat (the weight and age requirements) if not there then in the manual. but the research shows like @ashley_smashly says. its much safer to have them rear facing til 2
  • I'm changing my daughter soon, about 9 months. The front facing can have babies 5 pounds and up. My lo is 18.5 pounds and screams bloody murder anytime she's in the seat. I'm just going to research and get a really nice one with good safety features. To each their own of course :)
  • There are no front facing seats for 5lbs...
  • edited April 2012
    @mmy21nttc i think she's talking about thr convertable carseat @akmommy if thats the case, it goes rear facing until they're old/big enough, facing a 5 pound baby forward is a death sentence
  • Yep my state no law, just recommendation. Same for SC and a lot of states actually. They can even be in the front seat, legally. Not that I would recommend it!
  • I'm not saying to put them in a front facing car seat at 5 pounds, I'm saying they are rated that way