DNC Saturday *UPDATE*

edited April 2012 in Loss
I am currently going through my first miscarriage and I scheduled my d&c on Saturday just with a local numbing agent, for ladies who have had a D&C was there a lot of pain? were you full conscious? and How long did it take to get back to normal? I don't know what to expect, and its freaking me out, thanks ladies

***** update***** I went in for the D&C this morning and it was completely horrible, the Valium didn't do S*** and I could feel them Suction everything out of me. But the worse part was when they had to dilate me!. If I have another miscarriage I will defiantly be going into the surgical center. Thank you to the ladies that tried to warn me. I know better now. The other good thing at least its over and I can start recovering.

Comments

• @rtmommy

I didn't have to have a d&c with mine... it was natural. Good luck sweetie. Again, I'm so sorry this happened :(
  • I'm sorry your going thru this! I've had one miscarriage but like redshadoe mine came out natural.good luck :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @hsweetie21 I'm sorry for your loss. :( I had to have a D&C in September 2010 because my body wouldn't let go. I was supposed to be sedated, but ended up being completely knocked out. I was a little sore for a few days, but nothing that a little mortin couldn't help.
  • @redshadoe0
    @babyluv8
    Yeah i would prolly opt to go naturally but Im currently in nursing school and I cant miss a day!. some time i just gotta do what has to be done. thanks ladies
    @mommytobe20
    @ltlnckl Yeah im going to be completely awake, The though of hearing them clean me out is freaking me out, I dont want to hear and suctioning. did you have any trouble getting pregnant after wards? and they gave me an option to have the baby sent for testing, did you opt for that?
  • @misskristin I wish i could be knocked out...
  • edited April 2012
    I would totally get the baby tested!!!!! If they're giving you the choice, why not right? Just to see. And I might request to be knocked out so you don't have to hear anything... that would freak me out too. And prolly upset the shit outa me.
  • I had one March 13 I was completely put to sleep. I couldn't imagine being awake! So sorry you have to..but the first day I stayed in bed...the next 2 days I had mild cramping but they should give you medicine and take it! Lol...but physically I was fine...mentally not so much...also the first day I had light bleeding then it went to a heavier flow but that also was only a few days then I had light bleeding / spotting for 15 days! Any other questions just ask! Good luck and I hope everything goes smooth!
  • I would NOT suggest a D&C with just localized numbing. It is a very very painful procedure. If they can't do general anesthesia, I would at the very least request twilight sedation. :( I am sorry for your loss.
  • @ltlnckl yeah this is my first miscarriage, i am looked at other women experiences and they said that they were horribly painful, My problem is that I am in nursing school and i cant take any time off and I have an exam on tuesday and I cant risk having a miscarriage naturally and not being able to take my exam, I am completely freaking out now
  • @capitvated thank you, Hopefully I can bite the bullet and make it through. because my doctor doesnt offer anything but a numbing agent.
  • I understand the nursing school thing. I know you will be strong and get through it, it's just not an ideal situation for a D&C :( Can you ask to have it done at the hospital where there is an anesthesiologist/anesthetist to help with sedation? Either way, I hope everything goes well for you.
  • I'm not sure if its the same thing but my friend had an abortion and the baby got sucked out and she had to hear it all. I'm not sure about pain meds but I'm sure they gave her something
  • No pain, went to work the next day. I'm sorry, mentally tough to go through.
  • @crisjoe did you get sedated?

@everyone thats ladies for all your input.
  • I had one several yrs ago. Completely knocked out- thank goodness. I woke up being pushed into recovery in horrible pain. I told the nurse to make it stop. They gave me pitocin to make me contract- the nurse stopped the iv. I would ask to be put under.
    Physically you have to take it easy but I went back to work two days later.
    Emotionally not really sure if you really do recover fully.

I am truly sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you.
  • Have you considsered letting your school know? This is an important and potentially life saving procedure. It might be very hard to talk about but health both physical and mental are vital. You should be able to get time off if you break your leg and are immobalized. Very bad example given the situation but if you are giving birth they have to give time off or its considered discrimination so a dnc would fall into the same category.
    i understand about not wanting to get behind but the mental harm the local could cause might do more damage than an extra day off to recover would put you behind.
    I dont want to sound mean at all. I am just thinking of your mental health. Physically anyone can overcome anything. Even mentally people may seem ok until much farther down the road.
    im not trying to scare you either
  • @grneyedmommy I kno I have heard some awful stories. I just can't believe this is happening.
    @lilliebug yeah I emailed my professor today so hopefully I will know something tomorrow. I kno that your not being mean or scare me sometimes things just need to be discussed. And I appericate it. Thanx :)
  • @hsweetie21 sorry to reply so late! I'm at work. For my D&C, I had conscious sedation. I was out for the procedure, but not intubated. I had an IV and had fentanyl, versed and propofol. I don't remember a thing, and was only in the hospital for a few hours as an outpatient. I went home the same day and worked the next night. I didn't find it to be too big of a deal. Let me know if you have other questions.
  • @hsweetie21 I was originally supposed to be sedated, which at a minimum, I would recommend. When I woke up, I was informed that I had to be fully put under. I also woke up bawling for the loss of my baby. I was nearly 9 weeks when I found out I had miscarried at 6w4d. They did level 1 testing and nothing abnormal came up, so the doctor assumed that it was a genetic/chromosome issue. In January 2011, I suffered another miscarriage (complete) and then conceived again in April 2011. My daughter was born healthy in January 2012 at 40+1. I still feel sad over the loss of what would have been my hubby & I's first baby (I have a son from a previous marriage). The second miscarriage happened so fast I hadn't even had time to become attached to the idea of being pregnant again. It is normal to grieve and feel sad, you lost a child, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. *hugs*
  • If you cab I fully suggest bring put completely under. If not ask if you can wear head phones so you can't hear. As far as pain and what not I had an extremely bad experience. It was a totally botched d&c. I was in excruciating pain for 3 months, couldn't feel the left side of my butt and lower back for about three months (when I came to I was screaming in pain and they thought turning me over and stabbing me in the butt with pain meds was better than using three iv that was already in my arm, they hit a nerve) and had shooting pains down there for about three months as well. But the best part was they didn't even get everything, including my baby. I was heavily bleeding for over two months and eventually passed it myself. Needles to say the Obgyn that did my procedure had her license taken away about 6 months later! Oh and she had refused to even let me come back in for a check up when I told her I was in so much pain and bleeding horribly for that long after. Said they would redo it if I was still bleeding 3 months after and wouldn't look at me til then. I had an extremely rare experience and I pray yours goes smoothly! But definitely see if you can bring some kind of music with you so you don't have to hear if you can't be ask the way sedated! Very very sorry got your loss! <3
  • Yes, i was under twilight anesthesia. You dont remember anything about the surgery when you awake.