If you've had a D&C

edited April 2012 in Loss
For those concerned, this is not about me. Little bambino is just fine, unfortunately this is for a dear friend.

She's had a loss due to pre-term labor almost 5 years ago and just recently has been diagnosed with a missed miscarriage. This will be her second miscarriage. I'm not sure what gestation her first miscarriage occurred but this time she started spotting at 11w6d only to go in and find baby was only measuring 9 wks. :(( With her first m/c, she passed baby naturally; she didn't need a D&C.

My question is before they do the procedure, do they perform another u/s to make sure baby is really gone? Can you request one or do they do it automatically?

I'm just really worried for her, I wanted this for her so bad that I'm in denial. It took her a while to conceive this time and it just doesn't seem right for this to be happening. I haven't asked her about the procedure because I know it's a difficult, sad time but I'm sincerely curious. When I woke up this morning she was already on my mind. :((

Comments

• Let me start by saying that I'm so sorry for your friend. Having one miscarriage at any gestation is so upsetting, I can't imagine how it would feel if you've already suffered from one.

I also went in at what I thought was 11 weeks to have an ultrasound and saw that baby had stopped developing and had no heartbeat. I had another ultrasound the day before my d&c to make sure that baby was not alive. Because it was not, we went ahead and did the d&c. I'm not sure if I requested the 2nd ultrasound or if they did it anyway. But I would imagine if your friend requested one they would do it. Actually, a few of my other friends that have had a d&c also had a second ultrasound for confirmation, now that I think of it.

I'm so sorry for your friend and hope that she has lots of love and support to get her through this! Just as a sidenote, even though it took 8 months after my miscarriage I was able to conceive again- I am now 18 wks 3 days pregnant with a little girl and she is very healthy. I hope when your friend is ready she is able to conceive again quickly and have a happy and healthy pregnancy this time.
  • In my experience, they will have to do a miscarriage prior to d&c. At least a day or two in advance along with falling beta levels. so sorry for her loss.
  • edited April 2012
    @navea828 well she isn't really into trying anymore. I did suggest she request additional testing in case she and her fiancé decide to try again in the future. I'd hate for her to experience another loss. She really deserves this so much, they determined her son she lost from preterm labor five years ago was the result of incompetent cervix (IC). She has even considered adoption, she found a birth mom and everything. But unfortunately, that baby was found to be in the birth mother's tube. She really has lost hope. She feels like no child wants to be hers. She feels like her body is failing her. I don't know what to do, I've felt this same feelings but I keep pushing. I will succeed. I pray for her because we are long distance (I'm in Mississippi, she's in New York), so I can't be there physically, I just listen any time of the night/day she needs me.

I have experience with multiple loss unfortunately, an ectopic fall of '08, chemical pregnancy February '11 conceived again right away in April '11 carried all the way to 31 wks only to have a stillborn son, October '11. So while I know a m/c is devestating, it pails in comparison to a stillbirth/preterm labor loss/neonatal loss. Every loss is different, at the time of my ectopic and chemical I thought those were the worst things to ever happen to me but I was undoubtly wrong. I'd give anything to have the son I felt and watched grow inside me for eight months. I'm a strong Christian but even eight moths later I ask God why did we have to have such brief time with him, why can't he here here? I'm thankful that I'm now almost 17 wks pregnant with our rainbow but God knows our heart will always be empty where we wish our son can fill.

I'm also sorry to hear of your loss. :(
  • If she isn't offered the ultrasound make sure she asks, I was never offered. They didn't do anything to make sure. I was naive about it back then though
  • They do it where I live a u/s before dnc
  • I had one about three hours before they did my d&c. If they don't, I'd DEFINITELY request one. So sorry about all of the losses.
  • I thought I updated this but I guess not. She had it done this past Friday, they did do another u/s to confirm that there was no heartbeat. :((

Thanks to all whom replied.