recipes to freeze

Hey guys. As I've posted yesterday, my friend has leukemia, and I'm making a bunch of meals to freeze for his family, since they obviously won't be having a ton of time to cook. Id like to have six or seven dishes done by the end of the weekend.
I'm looking for some tried and true recipes that are relatively easy and freeze well. Comfort food is good. So if you have any recipes, please please let me have them! Normally I don't mind checking the internet and trying new things, but I don't want to screw them up for these guys! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Oh its also for a family of 5.
  • Chicken taquitos (or quesodillas)

Throw a bag of frozen chicken in the crock pot, add a large jar of salsa (i use walmart brand) mild cause of the kids, a thing of cream cheese, and chicken taco seasoning. Cook on high 4 hours or low 8 hours. Shred the chicken (can be done with a blender) and put it and all the sauce in a freezer container, give them a package of tortillas with directions to heat chicken a little, spoon in tortilla, roll like a taquito, spray with baking spray then sprinkle with salt. In 400 degree oven until crispy.

It looks like alot of work but i swear its not, the kids could make the taquitos( except for the oven) and sour cream is good with them too
  • Thanks @kimberly4411 how much chicken? And like breast, or thighs?
  • Skinless boneless breasts, the frozen bag at walmart is like $9, its 3 pounds of chicken, should be way more than enough
  • Awesome! This sounds perfect. Thanks love!!!!
  • @kimberly4411 do you think it would work to preassemble them? So they could just heat them up?
  • They may get soggy :/ but you could try one or 2 and see
  • Enchiladas
    Enchillad Casserole
    Chili beans and Rice
    Shepards Pie
    Stew

Are are some recipes:

http://www.30mealsinoneday.com/page/426451598
  • edited February 2013
  • Ooo I looove talking recipes! Here is a great one for freezing that will last them awhile!

Crack Potatoes or Loaded Potato Casserole

2 (16oz) containers sour cream
    2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 (3oz) bags real bacon bits
    2 packages Ranch Dip mix
    1 large (28 - 30oz) bag frozen hash brown potatoes -shredded kind

Combine first 4 ingredients, mix in hash browns. Spread into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes.

*I divided the potatoes into 3 small 7x7 disposable foil pans and froze them. I wrapped them with plastic wrap and then foil.*
  • And another-

Chicken and Pesto Stuffed Shells
    2 cups cooked, chopped chicken (1/2 rotisserie chicken)
    15 oz ricotta cheese
    1/3 cup pesto
    2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 jar spaghetti sauce
    22 jumbo shells

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.

Cook jumbo pasta shells according to package. Drain and cool.

Combine chicken, ricotta cheese, pesto, garlic powder, basil and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.

Stuff pasta shells with chicken mixture and place in prepared baking dish. Top with spaghetti sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese. (Can freeze at this point)

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly.
  • Pancakes! Super easy, quick to reheat, & a yummy comfort food. :)
  • edited May 2012
    @misskristin ohhh that's a sweet idea!! I make epic pancakes!!

@Molly those both sound amazing! With the potatoes, could I use fresh potatoes, cut up?

@stephenie thanks! I think I'll try the salsa chicken!

@ynvtish thanks for the ideas and link! I found some awesome stuff on there!
  • I do easy shephards pie
    4-6 breadsticks (not toast)
    1packet instant mashed potatoes (i use garlic andchz)
    1 packet brown gravy mix
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    1/2 cup frozen green beans
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    (or you can use one can of veggie all)
    1 lb. Ground beef
    1 cup shreded chz

Preheat oven to 350
    Thaw breadsticks completely
    brown the beef than drain oil
    add the veggies if using veggie all drain water
    then add brown gravy mix (no need to add water if using frozen)
    heat over medium for 5-10 mins
    make mashed potatoes as the box says
    cut breadsticks in half. Put them in a 9x9 pan crust side up and cover entire bottom.
    Then add meat mixture then potatoes then sprinkle with chz
    put in oven for 20 mins or so
    i also broil on low for 2-3 mins to get a browned top. Becareful it can burn it.
  • Thanks @kendell I don't eat shepards pie, but its a great comfort food for those that do! Thanks so much!
  • Lasagna freezes very good if you can find a good recipe.
  • @steph_due_101611
    I don't have one but that's good to know it freezes well. I'll have to check out the good ol internet for that!
  • @natashalynn Yes maam, you can definitely use fresh potatoes! Also, I have a super easy recipe for crockpot lasagna that I'll post for you.
  • Doesn't really get easier than this: crockpot lasagna! It freezes well and is even better then because the ingredients have a chance to meld together.

Ingredients

1 pound Lean Ground Beef
    1 jar Spaghetti Sauce
    2 cups Ricotta Cheese
    2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
    ½ cups Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
    6 whole Lasagna Noodles, Uncooked
    ¼ cups Water
    Italian seasoning

Directions

1. In frying pan, brown ground beef and drain fat. 2. Add water and pasta sauce, reserving a small amount of sauce to line bottom of crock pot. Stir until well blended. 3. Line bottom of crock pot with very thin layer of sauce, then top with 2-3 uncooked lasagna noodles that are broken to fit shape (some overlap is fine). 4. Cover noodles with half the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese, then top cheeses with half of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. 5. Repeat layers with the other half of the ingredients. Cook on low for 4 hours, covered.
  • These are all making me hungry! And sound good!!