is there a possibility a baby could have downs syndrome without parents knowing?

edited May 2012 in Babies
Or do they always have that "look". I only ask cuz when my baby smiles she sort of has that look....but otherwise looks normal. Or is it all or nothing with downs?

Comments

• Hmmm Idk but I bet nothing is wrong with her
  • i really doubt that?? how she mentally n physically??? is devolping as she should as her age??
  • @Val see my other post recently
  • It is very possible to not know. But, if she sees a pediatrician, I am sure they would have said something when assessing her during a visit?
  • I agree wit Fate I wuld def think the pediatrician wuld have caught that but I wuld bring it up to him/her at her next appointment jus to ease ur mind
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2012
    Most cases are diagnosed at birth because most all DS babies have unique characteristics that make then stand out, one being very small ears. Given your sons age, I doubt a late diagnosis could go unnoticed.
  • @Mijita its my daughter that I'm wondering about she's 7 months and ya I realize it is probably very unlikely but I just noticed her smile has changed and she kinda has that look
  • They are born with that look, so you have nothing to worry about :)

That is one of the reasons 3d ultrasounds can be medically necessary by insurance- it is able to detect down's syndrome by the features.
  • I had more than 10 people call my daughter a boy today. :O Guess I'm guilty right along with them, my apologies. I thought we were talking son.

My niece, Daisi looked that way growing up. It's highly unlikely because they woulda have noticed many markers and/or some sort of congenital defect.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/down-syndrome-information-characteristics-down-55099.html

This is just to show you what I mean. You can always check out a down syndrome foundation website for more info. However, it is highly unlikely DS.