bananas

edited May 2012 in Food
So my lo loves bananas but obviously too much is no bueno! When she eats one, she eats a whole one. My question is how many days should I wait to give her another? 2 weeks ago I gave her a whole one, one day and a half the next day. That was a mistake! I had to give her half a pediatric glycerin suppository :( I'm not going to cut them out completely. I'm just wondering how many days I should wait before the next banana. Anyone who has been successful at spacing them apart, I'd love to know, thanks :)

Comments

• A whole banana seems like a lot! I only give Tessa a little less than a quarter of one, and then I wait a day or two. Try alternating fruits like banana one day, pears the next, apples the next and so on. That's if she's tried all of them though.
  • edited May 2012
    Thanks...she's a hungry girl, so anything less than a whole, she will still be hungry. She drinks a half hour before too...she loves food! She loves meat too, the other day she devoured pernil! Lol @mom2ing
  • @starrxoxo9 she's 10 almost 11 months, I should have said that lol
  • 1/3 of a banana, and 2-3 times a week... less if she tends to be constipated.
  • @babyhope7 well a third definitely wouldn't satisfy her, so then it would seem somewhat pointless.

Has anyone given their lo a whole banana successfully?

she had a whole banana today, so I will wait a week like @mom2ing suggested and see how she does. It would help if she drank juice and not just played with it! Lol

Thanks everyone
  • Maybe give her cheerios or something else with a smaller piece of banana? Tessa is 9 months so they're not that far apart. Idk I guess a whole banana seems like a lot because they tend to bind me up too lol.
  • You could mix.it with oatmeal or other fruits like apples etc... or some yougurt! But a whole banana for their body size is too much potassium!
  • Thanks for the suggestions, she has no teeth but she is teething :) and yes, it's so good! :) @mom2ing

• Mine eats a whole banana allllll the time! Never constipated though!
  • @starrxoxo9 yes she loves Cheerios also lol I give her those a lot for a snack.

@Babyhope7 she has a yogurt every morning, she has no teeth so an apple is too hard. I tried giving her those Apple pick ups from Gerber, but she hates them! I don't blame her, they are so sweet I didn't like them either.
  • @captivated that's great to hear :) I think it was because I gave her it 2 days in a row!
  • That was the first time she was constipated @captivated
  • Lol Tessa likes to bash the high chair tray so they go flying all over the room. Then I think wow! she ate so many! And I pick her up and they're all on the chair lol. Oh and about the apples she probably meant applesauce lol.
  • Lol applesauce doesn't help, anyhow she doesn't like baby food much anymore
  • @mom2ing lol my son didn't get any till end of 10 months, how bout yours?
  • @mom2ing wow that's early for Isaiah! Well Lilliana doesn't like the baby food much anymore. If things are soft enough she can gum them pretty well! Wow I would be pissed as well!
    Lilliana likes Mac and cheese, I make her the spiral kind. I recommend it because it's a flat noodle and easy for them to mash with their gums lol.
    She loves the Gerber cheese puffs! And the freeze dried yogurt...and Cheerios.
    She eats a lot! Lol she loves meat of any kind. she likes corned beef hash. I give her oatmeal (regular, not the baby kind), yogurt, carrots, ravioli, pierogies, rice, cheese, meats, bread, almost anything I eat! She's a great eater. I wish she would drink juice! The only time I've ever been able to get her to actually drink juice is when I put it in a bottle. I refuse to give it to her in a bottle though, so she doesn't drink much of it :(
  • no I blame the bananas, I gave it to her 2 times in a row. I know not to do that now.
    It just sucks because bananas don't stay fresh for long. That was the first time she was constipated. I was nervous about solids with my son, I didn't give him Cheerios or much finger foods. Seeing how well Lilliana does with them, I regret not giving him all the things I give my daughter. My son is a great eater though, so I guess it doesn't matter too much.
    @mom2ing
  • If the whole banana binds her up just start giving her another fruit with her banana. Or you can make her a small pancake with it. Ollie loves it when I make him half dollar sized pancakes!
  • Whoa, how old is your baby? I give lily banana everyday, but only about an eighth, if that. She's only 10 months.
  • @Mom2ING, you would be amazed at how forceful our GI is when digesting foods. I don't think you need to worry too much about binding foods causing GI issues. The only ones you should really worry about are the ones that are classified potentially high allergy causers (i.e. Egg whites, fish, citrus). If you are uncomfortable with consistency or denseness, you can always try a hand held mixer, a blender or food processor to make it a consistency your comfortable with. Although, what may be ”good” for you may make your baby gag in disgust, lol. I'm speaking from experience.
  • @Ashley_smashley that's a good idea, I haven't given get pancakes yet, I kinda forgot all about them lol!
  • Be careful of egg allergies. There is no egg allergies anywhere in my family so I didn't worry to much when I gave them but still be aware. Ollie loves to squish them in his fingers before he eats them...always the messy kid! Lol
  • edited May 2012
    @mijita she's 10 months also. when she got constipated, I had given her a whole one day and a little over a half the next. I gave her a whole yesterday so I'll see how her bm is, if she can't handle that I'll give her less next time. She's always done fine with the banana baby food. I know it's not the same, but it's still banana.
  • @mom2ing yes it's good to introduce variety now, it will help prevent picky eaters later :)
  • edited May 2012
    @Ashley_Smashley I know! there's no egg allergy in our family either and now the pediatrician says you don't have to wait till one to introduce eggs. So I gave her some a few weeks ago, but she had a mild reaction and had red blotches around her mouth. It cleared up within hours and she never had swelling, but it was scary! The doc said just to wait a couple months and reintroduce them.
  • o wow I bet that was scary! Glad she didnt swell up!! :)
  • edited May 2012
    Yes me too, when I called the doc they freaked me out saying if she had any swelling develop to bring her to the ER, so glad she didn't :)
    @Ashley_smashley
  • Your girl is a good eater!
  • @mijita omg she loves food! Lol if you don't share with her she'll get mad lol