Tips on weaning baby off the bottle.

Sophia turned one last Thursday. About a month prior to that, we began introducing cows milk, and started really pushing the sippy. She's been doing really well, up until the last few evenings. She's fine during the day, but lately, she wants a bottle at bedtime which is strange cuz she never got one to go to sleep with...

She had her 1 year well child today, and we found out she's borderline anemic. So, the doc said to limit her milk intake to 15 ounces max. Okay, that's fine...but she's so set on her last "milky" of the night that she fights her sleep and just cries. She just stands there and cries and signs "milk", and it breaks my heart!

I just gave her a cup with water, and it seemed to have appeased her somewhat. The thing is she wouldn't take a sippy, it had to be from a bottle.

So, I'm kind of at a loss at this point. She'll take water, but from a bottle. She will take a sippy, but she wants milk in it. Do I just give her a bottle with water in it?? I don't want her to be anymore attached to the bottle since she's been doing so well, but I also don't want to give her milk at bedtime.

Comments

• The best way to wean a baby off the bottle is to put water in the bottle it will make them not like the taste of the bottle but if you give little amounts of milk in the sippy she will want the sippy. I'm still going through this my baby is 15months and it looks like it ia going to be real difficult to get him off the bottle
  • @salasmommy Yeah, this is going to be a challenge for me too. I think it's a comfort thing for her cuz even when she sees a bottle in the store, she wants it. I never had this problem with my son, he was easy, but was a binky baby. My daughter, however, is the exact opposite.
  • My daughter is 12months too and we have gave her a sippy cup probably like 4 times n the last month, :( we never introduce,her to a sippy cup earlier idk why.. Now I want to do it but she just wont hold it , she will hold her bottle n hand it to me when she dnt want no more and say thank you but she wont hold her sippy :(. And about the cow milk I started 2 weeks ago but she just wont drink it, I mix it with formula, alone, she just wont drink it
  • @vanessa_mom2b She took to the cows milk great, only she won't drink it straight from the fridge. We warm it up for about 35 seconds and she is fine. She likes her sippy, but she only likes water in them during the daytime. She's really missing her bottles at night...poor thing.
  • @LilSugarsMomma I think ur baby is doing way better then mines, my baby wont go to sleep if : by 9pm I take her a bath then put her in her crib by 9.15 9.20 she is in het crib drinking her bottle with mommy next to her then she will b out untill 9am next day .. I feel like I got her use to not want a sippy cup :'(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.