Cruising w 8 month old

Ok so how many people have went on a cruise with their babies? How good/terrible was it?

My MIL has invited us to go on a cruise in july (when our son will be 8 1/2 mo ths old) and she will be paying for the entire trip. At first I was all for it and my husband wasn't. Then I decided he was right and all of a sudden he changes his mind and says we should go!!! In the past few weeks since his mom came up with the idea our son has become very mobile and is standing up and crawling EVERYWHERE!

I have no idea how this is going to go and I just keep thinking it's going to be the cruise from he'll. Am I over reacting? I mean we do have a built in babysitter going w us lol!

Comments

• I would think cruise from hell, but hey! You've got a babysitter!
  • Haha I know..I'm totally freaking out! Ive been on many cruises and love them...but never w a baby! My husband says I'm too high strung and make everything a big deal. Hellloooooo this is a big deal!
  • I wouldn't take a baby on a cruise...or plane. When you go on vacation/travel with people from different places the risk of getting suck is much higher, especially babies b/c their immune system isn't fully developed yet..jmo
  • Go for it! He might do great. If you don't go, you might regret it later. If someone invited me on a cruise and was paying for everything, I'd go! The fact you have a babysitter coming along, seems like a no-brainer! Lol
  • @summergirl22 That's how I'm trying to think about it! I have a VERY good relationship w my MIL so I trust her to watch him and she would very much enjoy having him as much as possible!

@Mom2ING I completely understand where ur coming from. I'm not so much worried about my MIL She is AMAZING! Very helpful and loves to be of assistance. We don't live near her so anytime she gets to be with Robby she is thrilled. Obviously I don't take advantage of her tho...I'm just more worried about the germs and where would he get to crawl around at.

@clope18 Yes germs are a huge concern of mine! I've flown numerous times w him but he's in my lap for a few hrs and we make do. The payout of visiting friends and family are worth the risk I guess. But going on a cruise for five days is another story. I have no idea where he's going to play at besides our pack n play...ugh

@2ndbut1st well I'll let u know if we end up going In July and I'll tell u all the helpful hints lol!
  • @2ndbutfirst. Luckily it's just my husband, myself and Robby in our room...she even offered to get us a suite so we would have more room and a bath tub but I said no! She's been very blessed financially and she is very giving but we also don't like to take advantage either. I'm trying t just be like....we aren't paying for it so just enjoy getting out of the house...even if we r stuck in the cabin all day lol! My husband is in the army and we don't get to go on many vacations since he's always working or deployed. So getting to go somewhere together is nice and even seeing him have time w his family is nice since I get to go see mine so often.
  • I dont know what cruise line it is but carnival has fun activities for kids
  • I wouldn't worry too, too much about germs at that age. Plus, babies need to be exposed to some things to gain immunities :) If he is up to date on all shots (if you are a vaxx mama, not trying to start a debate!) then I wouldn't worry about exposure.

I really think it depends on how your baby is! Is he a good baby? Fussy baby? I think it could work out.
  • @captivated I agree. My son was never in daycare and I breastfed him a long time. He hardly ever got sick. when he started kindergarten this year, he got sick with everything he came in contact with :(
    My daughter has gotten many colds from him, but I see it as a good thing. When she starts kindergarten, she won't be sick as much.

@mom2ing I second that lol
  • @summergirl22, my daughter was breastfed for a few weeks and in daycare at 6 weeks (home daycare- I'm not fond of daycare centers) and got sick just a few times. My son is 10mo and breastfed in daycare since 4 weeks old and has only been sick once after his vaccs! :)
  • @captivated that's great! It's probably due to the home daycare you've chosen :)
  • Luckily Robby has never been sick and yes @captivated I am a vaxx mama lol! I breastfed hin until he was 6 1/2 months old also. Robby is a very good baby so I guess I need to stop freaking out lol
  • I am verrryyy picky about home daycare. Not saying any other mother isn't, but I interviewed over twenty. Just a tad bit crazy.
  • I would do the same if I needed daycare. I'm going to school online fulltime so I don't have to use daycare. So I hear you. I trust very few people with my children.
    @captivated
  • The only thing that concerns me are the regular outbreaks of norovirus on cruise ships. You may want to check the history of the ship you go on.
  • I've only been on one cruise. I wouldn't want to go on one with my son. We upgraded the room and it was tight quaters for me and the hubby unless ur getting a suite it will be hard to fit the baby. You would also have to consider going the whole time with out a chair to put him in. Our room only had a one person stand up shower, and that was upgraded from a four hundred a person to 1,000. Of course if it was free I would have been much happier.
  • Omg... Go! Its a free trip! One kids a piece of cake. I think it would be a blast. Go, go, go... And have FUN!!! ;)
  • @mommyof3girls. Thank u! Ur making me feel better about this lol