How much time on average does a preggo person have between water breaking and the beginning of labor

edited May 2012 in Third Trimester
To the time you'd have to start pushing?? Just curious :D

Comments

• Everyone is different. My water never broke but I was having contractions so I went to the hospital I got there@ 1 something they checked me and I was already @ 5 cm so they took me to my room broke my water a couple min layer I was ready to push I had my daughter@ 6:42 so I wasn't in labor long
  • My water broke and labor didn't come. They started pitocin. I had her 23 hours after my water broke. The contractions (from pitocin) started at 11am and I pushed her out around 3pm. I don't know that this could actually be answered with an average since most hospitals LOVE pitocin. For first babies (without the use of pitocin) I think the average is 18 hours. You water will most likely not break, until you're in labor already.
  • For me contractions started at 3ish in the morning. Water broke at 5ish am, went to the hospital at 11ish and he was born at 12:21. I waited to go when I began feeling pushy. I wanted to labor at home for as long as possible.
    Next time, I'm just having a home birth lol
  • My water broke and labor started RIGHT AWAY. My contractions were 5 mins apart from the start. My whole labor was 3 hrs 45 mins, with 1 1/2 hrs of pushing. Drug free I might add :D
  • When my labor broke, contractions didn't really start for about 5 hours. I had her 11 hours after my water broke. it's all different for everyone!
  • About 20mins after they broke my water i was screaming i needed to to push literally screaming
  • @starrxoxo9 Would you consider a drug free birth for other mamas to be??
  • Absolutely!!! Our bodies are made for this, so its nothing we can't handle. Everyone is different though, and there's no shame in using an epidural if you need it. I just never wanted to. By the time I got to the hospital I was 9 cm dilated so I didn't have time to change my mind anyways lol
  • My water never broke. Contraxtions started 5 mins apart about 12:30 am Christmas Eve went to the hospital and was 4 cm got sent home with a shot of morphine. 2 mins apart about 9 am went back and was 6 cm broke my water about 4 started pushing at 5:30. 8:17 pm baby was born
  • My water broke at maybe 6cms and at that time I was in labor for like maybe 4 or 5hours then I had her within the next 2 hours
  • @newmomma13 Seems soo long.
  • Labor started at 2am, water broke on its own next morning around 1am I think.
  • Some women water don't even break they have to break it for them but my labor was quick compared to some women who are in labor for like almost a day with their first
  • My labour was induced, they tried just breaking my water,then had to give me pitocin. From water breaking to having her was 17 hrs, 25 mns, probably about 2-2.5 hours of pushing.
  • edited May 2012
    I was induced. Pitocin started at almost noon, they broke my water at about 7-8pm, I pushed for only a few minutes and my son was born at 11:24pm, daughter 14 minutes later. Lol no epidural.
  • I went without a epi but did have a small dose of pain meds.
  • edited May 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @stephforever89 how did that work out??
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Oh I know that but thanks :)
  • My water broke at 2am. I got to the hospital around 4 and after 2 hrs. of pushing my son was born at 10:52 drug free (didn't even have an IV)
  • They broke my water at 11 & I had my daughter at 5:30
  • My water didn't break on its own. i went into labor with my first, was there several hours, they broke my water but i only made it to 6cm 23 hours later :(
  • I was in labor 16 hours after water broke with first ended in c section and I tried vbac the second and was in labor 26 hours after water broke ended in another c section everyone is different .
  • Well meds made my head feel funny wore off fast. Either that my pain was so strong nothing was going to help. I knew when to push. It feels like your about to take the biggest poo in the world. Pushing made the pain go away. The short time i was told not to push was horrible i felt like my organ being ripped out of my bottom. But if im able to go the same way next time i will. I had very fast labor. Went in at 1130pm had my son 104am they monitor me for about 45 mins. (Basically checking me in) then took them about 20 mins or so to hook me up to iv. Broke my water then bam i was ready push. Oh ihad contraction starting at 11pm on a Saturday night went to the hospital 11am sunday morning just to get sent home.
  • @stephforever89 That's why I wanna wait until my water breaks before going in cause I don't want to be automaticlly sent back home from contractions one way or another.. 8-|
  • after 5 cm they have to keep u. I went the first time at 2 1/2 almost 3cm, 85% effaced and contractio were not regular nor close together. The second time i was 6cm and 100 % effaced. And ready to have a baby. Doctor told me he broke my water since it was right there about to break anyways.
  • @ta2edblondie Sounds like your the lucky one in the bunch ;-)
  • My water never broke, they had to break it for me, and my labor was 31hrs long, I was in labor before I went to the Hospital, and only pushed for 20mins
  • @AishaMusa I don't think you should wait until your water breaks cause you never know what's gonna happen. I was gonna wait until my water broke good thing I didn't cause it never broke and my daughter pooped inside of me. And they said its dangerous when they do that
  • @Jazzie So when would be the best time to go in? Since this is my first baby I don't have any idea on what to do. I don't even know what contractions feel like.