some questions i have..

edited May 2012 in Breastfeeding
Mainly this is about breastfeeding..and public breastfeeding.

I seem to be getting the hang of breastfeeding more and more each day. My son is only 20 days old and has been eating up a storm. I know its a growth spurt. Hes a pretty big baby and has been eating anywhere from 2 oz to 3-4 oz during a feeding. I feel like I cant keep up. Ive been nursing every 2-4 hours and have been pumping every 2-3 hrs and after he nurses but still only can get 2 oz out of my breasts (maybe 2.5-3 oz on a GOOD day). Ive been drinking water, Gatorade, and mothers milk tea as much as possible but I don't see much difference. I know you shouldn't gauge on supply by what you pump but idk what else to do to increase supply. Ive been supplementing with a little formula to help him out when hes been really hungry and I don't have pumped milk ready for him but I want to get up to fully feeding him AND building a supply for when I go back to work

And public breastfeeding. Even though I have no problem undressing in front of people or using the restroom or whatever in front of people I cant seem to feel all that comfortable breastfeeding in public. Ive tried as much as I can (like at the olive garden, at my inlaws, and I finally did it in the.mothers room at church today with another woman in there) but I still don't feel comfortable switching breasts when the baby is done. And baby doesn't seem to like to be covered even with a light blanket. (Ive even praticed at home with a blanket). So he screams loud and people stare so I wind up going outside to the car to do it which is kinda inconvenient for me..

Oooh its a dumb question and idk if anyone has seen or has this product but its called a Pashmama jolly jumper nursing cover. I bought it for breastfeeding in public since it looks like a regular scarf/shawl type thingy but for the life of me I cant figure out how to wrap it around me and baby...ive even looked it up on the Internet but I cant find anyhing

Comments

• Up your intake on protein, and your supply can also be effected if you're drinking too many liquids. Try cutting out the formula bottles, and just have a few days of you and baby nursing, laying down in bed. Stress and lack of sleep can effect your supply as well. Maybe get some brewers yeast supplements, and take those.

As for the nursing in public thing...just try to relax...I don't care you sees my naked boob in public, and when they give me looks I give them a dirty one lol I seen a cover at target that just goes around your neck like a big apron. Good luck!
  • edited May 2012
    Definitely do not suppliment with formula if you absolutely want to only breast feed. That will be your number one cause of your milk lowering.

He isn't even a month yet, 2oz is PLENTY. The need very very little for a while, which is why they nurse so often. Nursing often also ups your supply naturally. I recommended pumping before he eats so he can nurse after & it tricks your body to make more. Or pump an hour after a feeding. Pump first thing in the morning, you should collect the most then.

Do not stress!

About nursing in public.. I swear, once you get the hang of it, nobody will notice.. I don't use a cover or anything.

I usually am sitting. I try to sit with the boob I'm going to use closest to the wall so I can face it a little. From top, I undo my bra (if shirt allows, if not go under), pull the flap down. Them in ready, I get her in position & lift my shirt just enough to let her latch. I keep my shirt sitting right above my nipple/her mouth so people don't see top boob flesh & since that side is facing the wall, they don't see much at all.. and if I end up having to sit in the middle of the room, I just use her big square burp cloth. I tuck a corner under my bra strap 2x, pull a corner behind me to hide any side boob or stomach & hold the rest above her face so she isn't grabbing it off.

Pleasssse message me if I can help you anymore, don't hessitate!
  • Hmm idk how much my daughter eats she's 4 months and I feed her every 1-2 hours lol the only time I pump is when for the oatmeal cereal every couple days. I only get 3 oz from one boob most the time today I got 4oz but thAts the most I ever got. I only have a manual pump tho of that makes any difference. I think that's a good amount of milk since ur sons only 20 data old.

And lol I have that cover! I bought it from amazon because it wAs black but it looks nothing like it does in the pic right? I was confused at first but I just sticl my head the hole and u should know if it's on right because of the embroidering in the neck...then I wrap it around my shoulders. Sometimes I just tuck it. Sometimes I just throw it over. As long as my boobies are hidden lol.
  • @myHEARTZx3 yeah it doesn't. There just seems to be too much material for me. I feel awkward using it so you keep the embroidered label in the front? I thought it would be simple but I feel stupid asking about it lol
  • It sounds like you are making enoug milk to me. Like the last person said I wouldnot suplement with formula b/c that is going to hurt your supply. You just want to nurse as much as possible. You are doing great! Don't doubt yourself. I think a lot of people stop b/c they don't think they are making enough but really are. If baby wants mote, nurse moreand your supply will go up. Sounds like you are eating and staying hydrated good :)
  • Oh and the nursing in public thing, you will get used to that....lol. I shy away from stuff like that but now I dont Care lol! Good luck!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ohh no.. The embroidering on the back of my neck lol
  • And yes in certain places I am still uncomfortable but my bf really makes me feel like "who cares?" lol I love him...it gets easier :)
  • Thanks ladies! Ive been doing what you told me to do all day and it seems to be working. Ive been nurisng and pumping and pumping some more...then I nurse some more lol. @myHEARTZAx3 lol that's what I thought but in the pictures it looks different
  • As a ftm, I feel your pain! What makes it worse is all the not knowing, the second questioning and the doubt. My first suggestion is to seek out a local breastfeeding support group, they are life savers. I'm a serious advocate of peer support because the reality that you are not alone is bittersweet. Many are struggling with the same issues, others are past your struggles and have some great suggestions.

I too struggled the first 8 weeks. Lily lost more than 10% body weight and I was adamant no matter what, I would not formula feed. I took the supplements, fenugreek and blessed thistle, nursed every 2 hours and pumped. My suggestion is to feed baby first and pump after. This way you know baby is attempting to drain at each meal. If baby is still hungry after both breast I would supplement with pumped breastmilk. Just so you have an idea I would nurse, then double pump for 20 minutes. By the time I was done it was almost time to nurse again. Things evened out eventually and 10 months later still going strong.

Breastfeeding in public just takes practice.If you nurse from both breast I would unlatch both straps prior to putting baby on boob. When baby unlatches just slide shirt down and switch sides. You'll get it! Hell, I feed right in front of my dad when I used to ask him to leave room, lol.

Good luck and stay strong!
  • The two things that made feeding in public easier for me were my nursing cover and a nursing tank. It seemed easiest if I wore a button up shirt with a nursing tank. Easy access and easier to conceal! So my tanks were a lifesaver. And remember....pumps don't get empty a breast like a baby. My baby is 8 months old and to this day I have only gotten 10 total ounces when I pump. Pumping gets nothing out for me
  • I actually just bought a nursing tank yesterday to give it a try @doodles ! I'm hoping it will help. Idk why I'm so shy about breastfeeding. I don't care if other people do it or if my husband or kids are in the room when I'm doing it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.