Understanding No.

edited May 2012 in Ages & Stages
When do babies start to understand what NO means? My daughter is into EVERYTHING, attempts to pull hair now, has started trying to put her hands in her mouth while eating baby food, and some other normal curious baby things.. When I tell her No she looks at me, smiles, and does it again. When will she start to understand the meaning of no? Is there anything I can do to help her understand?

Comments

• When Tessa is getting into something, I find it more effective to sternly call her name. She recognizes what I'm saying and it gets her attention. About 50% of the time she'll back away and go do something else. It's a learning process. A LONG one. Lol.
  • 11 months usually. Sometimes younger. Help her by gently correcting her, like removing her from the situation.
  • My son knew he wasn't supposed to be doing something at 9 months. I'll say his name really sternly, and then no, and now he usually takes off crawling fast the other way lol
  • @Ericak22 hahaha!! Picturing him darting away made me LOL!!!
  • @starrxoxo9 @fate @Erika22
    Thanks ladies! I'll try the name thing for sure. She's driving me crazy. She has her fathers curiosity and it's coming out more than ever now days.
  • I pictured a little one crawling away quickly too.. Hilarious visual.