Spoiling..

edited May 2012 in Babies
So i took Jack to the dr today. he's been teething but nothing seems to soothe him. well, the dr says he keeps waking up at night because i rock him to sleep before laying him down. basically I'm spoiling him. he wakes up and I'm not tgere so he cries. she said i need to lay him down wake so he falls asleep on his own and that when he wakes up in the night, not to pick him up. :(

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ^^great book!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate thanks! i don't like when he crys so i always go rock him when he wakes up or i bring him in bed with me
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate maybe I'll rock Jack til he's drowsy then lay him down. I'm sure I'll figure out what will work. it just may be stressful at first, but then again, 2 weeks of no sleep is pretty stressful
  • I've ALWAYS rocked my 7 month old to sleep too. Not just for her benefit, but for mine too. Is there anything sweeter than Cuddling with a sleeping baby??nope.
    Lately though, if Keegan wakes up I'll give her a paci and let her go back to sleep on her own. She does fine with that.. ESPECIALLY if I go in and give it before she starts crying hard.. That way she isn't totally awake. Also, a few times a week I'll go ahead and lay her down when she's drifting off so she can go to sleep on her own in her bed. I like to think this helps slowly get her used to going to sleep on her own. Maybe within the next few months I'll start laying her down when she is less and less asleep. Like working up to it. Who knows if it'll work or not.
  • @1stWoodsBaby i go in and give Jack his paci before he's fully awake too. Just the past 2-3 weeks he's not wanting to go back to sleep. He used to do great, but something changed...we haven't changed his schedule or routine tho
  • I am gunna be in trouble when mine gets older. She falls asleep eating a bottle then sleeps in my lap for an hour to an hour and a half then i finally put her down. I rock her if she does wake up in the middle of the night
  • @jennalynne87 my oldest wasn't like this. this is probably bad but i rocked him to sleep til he was almost 2. He never had any issues with waking up at night.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate @1stWoodsbaby @jennalynne87 so far so good. Jack fell asleep on his own! No crying at all. I gave him a bottle, got him dressed for bed, gave him a kiss and told him night night. Now to wait and see if he stays asleep. I'll keep yall posted.
  • I hope for your sake he does!
  • My 7 month old is still being cuddled to sleep. I have tried to phase out the rocking and patting and most of the time now I just wrap her up give her the paci and snuggles till she gets dopey... Sometimes I can put her down half asleep sometimes I have to cuddle till she is full asleep. I also say nighty night princess on my way out of her room
  • @kristaf22 jack was doing that..every hour or half hour tho. he no longer gets night feeding, he just wanted to be held..the dr told me to stop that. I'm tired too. he still takes decent 2-3 naps a day but the no sleep at night is catching up with me
  • He hasn't woken up yet! usually he's. woken up at least once by now
  • @kristaf22 he only slept until 1am. i was up so much after that, trying not to pick him up. he just kept waking and crying. i ended up bringing him in bed with me. at least we slept til 1....that's a start
  • @kristaf22 he used to sleep so good. this just started like 3 weeks ago. we haven't changed anything so i don't know what's going on
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate the dr said yes he's teething. I've tried tablets and Tylenol. Nothing seems to help. She also had me up his dose before bed...maybe thats why he slept straight til 1am. I really don't know what else I can do
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate so this past week Jack has been sleeping almost all night. I've still been rocking him to sleep...I'm not going to give that up. He's been going down at 9 pm and only waking up once for his paci. Then up at 6-7 for a bottle. Yay!!
  • That's great! And I don't believe you can spoil a baby. If you both like rocking then do it! He won't be a baby forever and I don't think you have to worry about rocking him to sleep by the time he's 10...lol
  • @Ourlittlenugget I love rocking him. I rocked my oldest till he was almost 2 but I didn't mind. It wasn't too hard getting him to sleep without rocking.
  • Salma Hayek once said she rocks her baby to sleep every night because her friend told her there would come a time when she wished she could rock her baby to sleep. That's always stuck with me, and I apply it to everything with my baby. :-)