Hospital Bag must haves? What is a NEED for the time I go into labor?

edited May 2012 in Third Trimester
I have some ideas on what i'll 100% need for that day but would like to know what you ladies think I should bring.

Comments

• For me I had comfy pjs and trackies. And my fave slippers and camera. Didn't really need anything else for me. For baby 4-6 jumpsuits and singlets, wipes, diapers and a couple thin blankets for wrapping. And my phone charger... Everything else I didn't end up using but I had super short hospital stays, 36 hours after birth then 10 hours after birth for number 2
  • edited May 2012
    I took:
    FOR MOMMY
    Shampoo and conditioner
    Soap
    A towel ( thank god bc there's were so small like almost a hand towel)
    Wash cloth (thank god bc they didn't have any..wth)
    Razor
    Toothbrush
    Tooth paste
    Makeup
    Hair product (gel, hairspray)
    Blow dryer
    Pjs
    Robe
    Bra
    Undies
    Socks/house sandals
    Going home outfit
    Camera
    Phone and charger

FOR BABY
    Diapers (they had there tho)
    Wipes (they had there tho)
    Blankets
    Hand mits
    Head caps
    Outfits (I ended up needed more bc we had to stay 5 days unexpectedly)
    Going home outfit
    Car seat
    Binki

Ok I'm an over packer and yes I did put my makeup on, do my hair and shaved everyday I was there! Crazy i know!! But it just made me feel better.

Also plan what u want to eat after birth....u will be starving!!! I had my family go buy a pizza and they had it there after I was done to eat! AMAZING! It was 1051pm when he was born and well after midnight before I was done bein sewed up and cleaned and ready to eat.
  • Toiletries
    personal pillow-hospital ones suck
    Make up
    Hair ties
    Camera
    cell phone/chargers
    snacks-for dad or you
    slippers
    baby going home outfit
    comfy clothes
    A few overnight size pads
    underwear
    Nursing bra
    Nipple cream-some places provide but just in case
    Socks

And of course carseat
  • I'd suggest a water bottle. Especially one with the push button made it easy to drink while laying down. I was sooo thirsty the whole time.
  • edited May 2012
    Breast pads!! if you're bf and your milk comes in you will NEED breast pads! I didn't have any and I ended up soaked :(
  • Change for the vending machine!
  • Things i took in my bag were
    For me
    pads (the hospital ones r too uncomfortable)
    Nursings pads
    Undies
    shampoo/conditioner
    lotion
    tooth paste/ tooth brush
    Hair brush/ hair ties
    Cell charger
    camera
    Crossword puzzle book
    Make up
    body wash/scrub
    Flip flops
    contacts/ liquid/case. Or glasses
    Comfy going home clothes

Baby
    Recieving blanket
    Going home outfit
    carseat
    diapers/wipes/food/binky u get at the hospital so dnt need that.
    I think thats it.....
  • http://www.valleyhealthlink.com/labordelivery

My hospital has a list provided on their website. The link is under the picture
  • @crystaldawn0830 I don't blame you. Was he your first kid? You got pizza after you had him thats awesome!! :D
  • If you have a c-section, they ardent gunna let you eat till you pass gas.

I didn't expect or want a c-section, but that's what happened.
  • Idk if anyone said it, but your own pillow! Hospital pillows (and beds for that matter) are flat and suck so bad!!
  • @caroline8_p if you dont mind me asking, what made you get a C-Section?
  • I took nothing but a few clothes for me and a few for baby.
  • She was stuck face up. It could have been handled better, but them pressuring & me in pain, Dr recommended it. I really didn't want it. And I will refuse another one unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.
  • @caroline8_p Doctors don't know what their doing these days, which is what frightens me a lil..
  • Exactly! But, my OBs office & the hospital that are affiliated with have low cesarean rates (I'm pretty sure I looked it up after having Malia). He personally didn't like to induce unless necessary, which I went in on my own anyway.

I hate to think about my birth experience because it really really bothers & upsets me, but it will make me more prepared for next time. I have a lot more information now, then I didn't know wtf I was doing & the nurses were annoying with their lack of help. That's a whole other story though.
  • CHAPSTICK!!!!
  • A small fan! I was definitely burning up in my ((sshared) room!

I had a cllip on fan. Which we still use when cooking, lol.
  • I pushed for two hours. With the heavy breathing and no water my lips were soooo chapped my mom had to go out and buy me some!
  • Yes he was my first kid! Lol.
  • I agree with @graysonsmommy. I pushed for three hrs and really needed it! Thank god my hospital gave me some in my care package
  • @crystaldawn0830 3hrs omg how tiring!! Deffinitely i'll pack some chap stick then :)