spot on breast

edited May 2012 in Breastfeeding
There's a spot on the side of my breast that is super itchy and flaking/scaly. its a round spot about the size of a penny. any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it?

Comments

• Is it growing? First thing that came to mind was ring worm. Did it start as a pimple and grown?
  • I just noticed it the other day when it started itching. doesn't seem to be growing. there is a little pimple a few inches behind it
  • Is ringworm an actual worm? Ewww. is it still safe to bf if it is??
  • Hmm, sorry I'm not much help. Try a cream and keep an eye on it for growth.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate, Thanks for responding! I missed the BF question altogether, sorry @heyitsme.

No ringworm is not am actual worm, but a fungal infection of the skin. It's called ringworm because it was thought to be caused by worms (at least I think), but in fact it's a fungus , that actually grows and takes a circular shape as it does. If you notice it's size increase have it looked at. Otherwise it may just be a small dermatitis flareup.
  • Thanks @mijita :)
    @homebirthadvocate will lamisil work? my lo has some left from a diaper rash. it gets soo itchy! and correction its not the size of a penny more like half a dime... smaller that I thought :)
  • Yay thanks @homebirthadvocate :)
    oh will it be ok if my lo gets a tiny bit in her mouth ? I'm just thinking if it rubs off onto my shirt and transfers to the nipple
  • Great! :) thank you so much
  • Could be eczema. I had it really bad on my one breast while I was nursing. It almost covered the whole thing!!! I had it on my arms and legs too. The only thing that helped was hydrocortisone cream.