playground etiquette

So this morning I was at the park and this boy who was about seven was following my almost three year old around and every time my son wanted to slide or swing this kid jumped on first so my son couldn't. His mom wasn't watching, she was following his sisters around. I tried telling the boy to stop nicely but he didn't so finally I snapped and yelled at him to stop being mean to my son. The mom kinda gave me a dirty look and took her kids to eat their lunch. I felt a little bad but I couldn't stand my son being bullied and don't want him to think its ok. Was I out of line? Should I have maybe said something to the mom instead?

Comments

• I'd probably say something to his mom...and if she didn't say anything to him, then I would of. Think if the tables were turned, you were occupied with your other kids, turn around to see a woman yelling at your child. It would suck.

By no means was your concept wrong, kid was being a bully, but the execution wasn't what I would do.

Sorry for your lil guy. He must of been so upset. :(

Kinda funny, but I just watched an episode of calliou where this happened lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2012
    I have a 8,6,2 yr old and 6 month old and I know how hard it is to keep them all in line. I know my older boys are usually good to wait in line but I can't say that if I'm not looking they might have never done that. I would say just for next time to tell the mom. I would rather someone just tell me and me get on them, whyich of course my kids would be talked to instead of a stranger fussing at my child. That's just what I would do bc any other parent is gonna get defensive I would think if another parent just started yelling at my son. Kids are kids sometimes and dont think the way we do always and need a reminder for sure. Im just giving you my opinion. Not saying the child should have been doing that but I would have said something nicely of course like you did first then if that doesn't work say something to the parent for sure. I would want to know if my child was acting rude for sure, lol!
  • edited May 2012
    There have been mean many times other kids were bullies.. mean..etc and I actually do say something to the kid..the other day at a baby shower,my friends daughter was coming down really steep stairs too, I guess tell on this little boy..Well i heard her at the very top of the stairs she says "ooch "and I ask her whats wrong and she says he's pulling her hair(well his mom and others are talking)..the little boy she was telling on was pulling her hair as she was trying to go,if he let go, she would've fell! I yelled and told him not to do that.
    I really don't care..someone could've got badly hurt.
    At a bday and this little boy is constantly being bad and the other kids are telling us he's being mean..we told his mom more than once..and then out in the jumpy he kept grabbing the top of it to make it collapse, well I had enough and yelled.. telling him he needs to stop! His mom finally took him and left!

Some kids need to be to told stop by a stranger when they are misbehaving.. it does stop them..that's when you tell the parents more then once..
    But when I see a parent just watching letting it happened and don't say anything to their child, I will say nicely, to stop....when I say yell..I don't mean scream at the kid..just make my voice a little louder..