Glucose Test Tomorrow. question

edited June 2012 in Third Trimester
I have to take the nasty glucose test tomorrow. My midwife didn't say anything about what to eat. I don't want to fast because then my blood sugar will get too low, and I'll pass out. Do you think it's safe to eat a spinach salad with eggs? I don't want to bomb the test, and have to do the 3hr test.

Comments

• I fasted for 8hrs and failed my hour one :(
  • i was told not to eat at all before mine!
  • edited June 2012
    Yes, 3 hour test requires the fast.
  • No, you don't have to fast. My midwife said as long you stay away from sweets and such. Spinach and egg salad would be fine.
  • I was tools not to fast for the 1 hour. Like @Fate said, just avoid sweets
  • @fate yeah when I had to do the test last year they told me to eat eggs and bacon..which made me really dizzy, and my blood sugar was 90...so I'm trying to eat something different.
  • Lol. That's what I ate before I went. Mine was almost 2 weeks ago. I actually ate it twice that day before my appointment. My appointment was at 4:15pm, I would like to see them starve a pregnant woman for that long. Lol.
  • I was told to fast for 3 hours prior.
  • I think fasting is the best option, given that baseline glucose levels are wanted. If your pancreas is working efficiently then approximately two hours after a meal your glucose levels should be with normal limits.

If you eat something that spikes your levels, you'll go in with elevated readings. Although, after 3 hours your levels should be within normal range, if GD is not a factor. I'm referring to the last blood draw after drinking the glucose solution.

I would suggest not eating at least 3 hours prior, if you can manage.
  • Avoid coffee!!
  • They told me no sweets or carbs.
  • No sweets. You can eat. I ate and oassed with flying colors. Please, dont be hungry.