fever

edited June 2012 in Babies
So my lo has had a fever all day. It hasnt really gone down that much with tylenol and is now 101.8. She been very sleepy and is starting to refuse food. Im a ftm and this is her first real fever so I'm not sure as to when i should take her to the er. I just hate seeing her suffer

Comments

• edited June 2012
    How old is she? If over 6 months, there is usually cause for concern if it hasn't gone by 24 hours with meds. No need to go to the ER. Fevers actually don't cause brain damage until near 107 degrees. For a lot of kids, tylenol doesn't help a fever alone. Many need to be rotated tylenol with motrin every four hours. :) Hope she feels better!
  • She'll be 12 months. Shes just so miserable. She's slept way more than normal too but was up at weird hours last night. She's not been herself at all. She'll just start crying for no reason too @captivated
  • Yep, because she has a fever and doesn't feel well :( That's a normal reaction. You can take her to the ER if it makes you feel better, but with her already compromised immune system and the numerous amounts of virus and disease floating on every surface there, I wouldn't. It is likely just a virus in which they will tell you to give her tylenol. Plus, ER docs are not experienced with children at all. Even if it is a bacterial infection that requires antibiotics (like strep), it could still wait until tomorrow to be seen by her primary physician. That's just me though. You have to do what you feel is best!
  • Does your pedi have an after hours number or still open. You could just call and see what they say.
  • No prob! I hope she feels better soon! I'm sure it's nothing serious!! If you can, try to take a look at her throat! Strep has been going around- especially with the not eating.
  • Nope pedi is closed till.9 am @jennalynne87 I'll try and look next time she's up @captivated
  • Make sure she's getting some fluids cause sure can get dehydrated easily with fever...give her some Motrin
  • edited June 2012
    My lo was running a fever and really fussy only at night it ended up he had an ear infection. We're bow on the second round of antibiotics to get rid of it wouldn't rush to the er but i would make ab appointment just incase