Scared Mommy

edited June 2012 in Pregnant
i am 20 weeks pregnant and last week i had a blood drwn for Birth Defects and the test came back abnormal. so may baby may be at risk for Spina Bifida or other possible defects. but then i had an ultrasound and the doctor saw no problem but still wants me to get further testing. she said the ultrasound made her feel alot better cause my baby spine and abdominal cavity look good...anybody ever had problem. what was outcome? blood work is not a diagnostics just a screening

Comments

• I've never had that problem but i am so glad your baby looks ok in the U/S I hope he or she is fine prayers for you doll
  • Same thing happened w/my son..and he was born healthy w/out spina bifida
  • I was scared too..my cousin was born w/it..
    Prayers for you <3
  • At SalasMommy thank yu very much
  • That why I never have those tests done....I'm sure everything is fine since the ultrasound was ok! Try not to worry lol.
  • The blood work that they do for those test is not very accurate, a lot of people get false results. If by further testing she mean testing the amnotic fluid (sp) I would do it. Those test can actually harm the baby and cause the problems they are testing for and still give false results. My doctor put it to me this way, "if your not going to abort if there is a problem, do not have the test done because it can cause more harm than good." Good luck, prayers your way.
  • I refused to have the blood work done. Like my doc told me the test might say 1 out of 100 but there is still 99% chance that ur baby will be healthy. And some people terminate off those stats. But those are still good odds.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thank you everyone for your positive help,