:( scared

i am 20 weeks pregnant and last week i had a blood drwn for Birth Defects and the test came back abnormal. so may baby may be at risk for Spina Bifida or other possible defects. but then i had an ultrasound and the doctor saw no problem but still wants me to get further testing. she said the ultrasound made her feel alot better cause my baby spine and abdominal cavity look good...anybody ever had problem. what was outcome? blood work is not a diagnostics just a screening

Comments

• Hope all is well try not to stress to much, those test can be wrong alot of the time. And baby doesn't need you to stress, thats why I didn't do those test....
  • I had many tests that placed me at high risk for Downs Syndrome, 1 in 24. They were pushing for an amnio, which I kept refusing. Despite weekly ultrasounds which showed nothing abnormal, I was nervous, scared and worried throughout my pregnancy. I now have a beautiful and healthy 7 month old daughter and wish I wouldve enjoyed my pregnancy more. Tests and screens arent always accurate.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also had abnormal numbers I told them no to the amnio just due to the slight risk of miscarriage. I say if you aren't going to terminate do let them push you into the
    More invasive test. My ultra sound were good as well and she didn't have any of the defects and is now 3 yrs old. Not to be rude but are u overweight sometimes that can make ur numbers come back weird. Like the other mom said I was worried the whole pregnacy until she was born and apparently I say that cause I don't remeber but I asked the doc like 10times if she was okay, he finally yelled at me I told u she's fine.
  • I know of 4 people who had high risk results and their babies are healthy! I looked after two children with downs syndrome and their mums had no idea, all their screening came back normal! In sure yours will be file, take care sweetie x
  • Thanks everyone...I don't think there are trying to do Amino test..they just scheduled me for ultrasound...i m praying everything is fine
  • My nephew has spina bifida and hydrocephalis and he is the sweetest little boy in the world. As much as it is scary if (A big if) there is something not right then you will adapt. I wont say dont worry about it b/c its in human nature to worry if somethings not right but try to enjoy that baby in your belly and just breathe and what comes you will be able to handle!!
  • edited June 2012
    Don't worry too much I only got it with my daughter but it came back high for her having downs syndrome. I was gonna keep her no matter what but it was scary bc I knew nothing about it. I ended waiting two weeks for results from an amnio the dr talked me into and it came back fine.Those are only screens...I found out bc we went to a genetic dr that the results are like 200 pregnant women in a room who get positive with the screen and only one would actually have anything. I opted to not do that screen with my other two bc it was the longest two weeks of my life. And my asshole dr I had basically told me I should terminate. My daughter is eight now healthy and really really smart...on a third grade reading level when she was in first grade. She only had problems with being too small but all my kids are underweight.
    All in all don't stress bc that's not good for you...also if you are asked to do the amnio...at the 20week ultrasound they can usually tell if there are signs of downs. As far as the spina bifida I'm not sure how they tell for that but hang in there. I'll pray for you:)
  • Thank you for your story. It made me feel lot better
  • Over here is aus they say its only a risk factor don't stress urself out