Does it really matter if my doc delivers my baby or not?

edited June 2012 in Third Trimester
Well my plans are to go to Abbott Northwestern to deliver my baby. But, my doctor at the clinic I got my check ups in only delivers in a couple hospitals that are to far from where I live.

Can I just go to the hospital I planned on and go through a normal delivery without my original doctor?

Kind of a dumb question I know.

Comments

• Yes you can. I really wanted to make sure my Dr was there because I have gotten to know her and vice versa...
    But as long as you have a hospital request list filled out so they know what to do and what you want you should be fine!
  • edited June 2012
    You can, but they might give you a hassle. That is what I did. My doctor was 45 minutes away (their office is at the hospital) but I didn't feel like driving as far. The hospital has 2 branches so I went to the one closest to me, like 10 minutes away, so the on call doctor delivered my son. The staff was kind of pissy but they warmed up to me after a couple hours of being there because I have a lot of friends that work there and when they looked up my info they saw I had been a patient there a lot and once for a very long time. Worst case is they will transfer you.
  • I don't see y not but most people build a trust with their docs and want them to deliver there babies. You would most likely just get the doc on call at the hospital.
  • @luvmy5 Transfer me really, that would be a worst case senario.. :(
  • They almost transferred me. But, they changed their mind because I had history there, even though it is the same hospital, different campus. But, maybe going to the one your doctor delivers at so your doctor can deliver since you built a relationship with them and you are a first time mom so it may help feeling safe in hands you know and trust. This was my 5th so I kind of knew the ropes. Ya know?
  • Its called a birthplan you can make a copy on babycenter.com. I would recommend this simply because it gives tons of info for the labor and delivery.
  • @MyBabe I will deffinitely do that.

@luvmy5 The reason why im hesitant is because she only delivers in hospitals that are far from where I live..
  • I thought my doctor was gonna deliver my daughter but it wasn't his shift at the hospital. So the doctor who shift it was in his office delivered her.
  • Are you worried about driving that far while in labor? Or just don't want to drive there period?
  • edited June 2012
    well I feel like i'll take to long going far away to a hospital. I preffer one closer so I dont risk anything specially while in labor. @luvmy5
  • If it helps, first babies usually are long labors. Not always, but for the most part.
  • My dr didn't deliver my baby, but the one who did was just as amazing...and my st change to check on me that morning. Actually my regular ob, high risk ob, and the dr that saw me while my ob was on maternity leave all were there to check up on me over the free days I was there.
  • @Stillsurprised Nice! Your lucky on that one.. :)
  • Its hard because u don't know who u will get could be good could be the worst ever. U could always go to the area when ur labor starts then hang out for a while Maybe find a hotel to stay in. Most likely when ur contractions start it will take a couple hours b4 they are close enough to even worry about the hospital. I would say go to a mall and eat but my aunt did that (mc donalds) and so does not recommed it.lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It doesnt matter hon. Neither of my doctors delivered my kids.
  • If you are in labor, the hospitally is legally obliged to deliver you.
  • And to the other mámás too of course :)
  • edited June 2012
    I don think it would matter. I didnt not have a doctor. (We had a whole dept of OBs and RNs that I saw for care) and I had two delivery docs (shift change) and one surgical OB that I still to this day never met.
  • Get a copy of your records just tell them you are traveling or something just in case that way you will have all info for them
  • @babyinblack682 How do I get a copy of my records?
  • Tell your doctor your going out of town or something even for one night they should give you papers for a hospital in event you go into labor out of town
  • Ohh ok... Good idea...thanks @babyinblack682
  • I was nervous about having her on the weekend cause if it wasn't my docs turn to be on call then he wouldn't have delivered. I was happy I went in on a tues. I had gotten to know his assistant well so she was the one who delivered my baby. She was easier to see in the office than my reg ob. Anyways..as long as you feel comfortable with it then do what YOU want to do. You are the one that is having the baby so you should be the one calling the shots on where you go:-)
  • At our hospital the on call doctor is the one that delivers...so my OB didn't deliver my son, but that was ok because I love the doctor that did...I'm actually using him as my OB this time because he made a 1st time delivery so easy and I wasn't nervous at all! I think if you have a basic birth plan then it won't matter who delivers...just do what you feel most comfortable with. Also, I went over a birth plan with my hubby..basic things I wanted so he was there for support or if anything went wrong he would know what my wishes were.