best birth control for breast feeding mamas???

I'm having my lil girl Delilah in 4 days!!!!
Omg!!!
Soo I want to plan ahead for my birth control. so I was wondering which is the best one?
I was planing on getting an iud but should I get the 5year one or the 10year one???
Does this affect my breast milk??
Would it hurt her in anyway??
Or should I get the depo shot while I'm breast feeding her???
or would either of these affect my supply???

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i had the IUD, and i actually liked it, its no matnence. i thought taking the pill would be easier. but its really not. such a pain in the butt! :)
  • I'm going with the depo shot. But i'm only going on it for 3 months since my dh is leaving
  • I was on the mini pill & loved it. No issues at all.
  • Omg I was wondering this myself, thanks!!
  • Well I like the Depo, I was on it for 2yrs before we ttc and I got preggo. As long as you update it every 3months. Not to many symptoms to it.... Ask your doc which is best for bfding mamas.... They can discribe each one n how it works..
  • I wouldn't go on Depo. That's full of hormones and could adversely effect your supply. It could also make you gain weight considerably. I didn't have any issues breastfeeding with the Mirena IUD, but for safe measures, I'd do the Copper IUD since it's hormone free. There's also condoms, which are usually successful. The mini pill, but a lot of women get pregnant with that (including myself).
  • I agree with @homebirthadvocate - no hormones.
  • Condoms all the way for this momma..lol well after our current LO joins us!
  • Also keep in mind that the iud & pills can keep a fertilized egg from implanting. That's the back up method of how they work. The first method is to stop ovulation, but that doesn't always work. Most women don't know this, so depending on when you think life begins, (i think at conception) these methods may be immoral for you. Just food for thought. :)