I want to breastfeed...could someone point me in the right direction?!

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding
I wasn't able to breastfeed my son because of health problems (short story: Brain tumor and Epilepsy) so I wasn't even able to consider it. This time I would really like to learn a lot about it and try. If anyone could give me any good websites, books, articles, or anything to get me in the right direction that would be amazing! I just want to know as much as I can about it so I feel comfortable doing it. Honestly I know nothing...which is a little embarrassing but no one in my family has done it and my mother didn't I also have no friends that have...so there is no one I can go to, to ask questions. Thanks so much I really appreciate it! So advice ladies? Pros? Cons? Books? Articles that have helped you? I'll take anything I can get!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Thanks so much! I hadn't even thought about going to meetings...that's an awesome idea, that would be so helpful! I will definitely check out the books :)
  • Its great you are starting early to give yourself a head start knowledge!! The more information you have the better you're experience will be. I was going to suggest a class or meeting like was mentioned above. I don't know of any cons to breastfeeding. Lots and lots of pros!
  • I took a breastfeeding class thru my hospital! Very informing!
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate Thank you so much...I will definitely be bugging you with questions when I come up with some lol. Thanks for helping I really appreciate the advice and support :)

@1stWoodsBaby Yes I want to start now so I will be confident and ready when baby day comes :) Thanks for the suggestions :)

@BabyLuv8 Thank you I'm definitely going to find a class!
  • Really just ask all the questions you can think of and don't be afraid to ask personal ones too.
  • @trixiesmom8 & @kristaf22 Thanks for the advice! I'm actually meeting with a few doulas to see if I like any...that way I would have classes until I had the baby and she would help after delivery and when I went home...that would be extremely helpful so I'm really excited!
  • edited July 2012
    I was 16 when I had my first I knew nothing about nursing but it came natural to me!!! I've breast fed all 5 of mine!!! I agree with everyone above but hun it will come natural to you weather you think so or not!!! I recommend breast feeding within the first hour. I started breast feeding my son that I had in march as soon as they laid him on my chest. It was amazing!!! I did not realize that I was able to do delayed cord clamping and keep him on my chest for the first hour after I had him. It sounds stupid but I always thought it was what the nurses and doctors said goes. But I found out from a friend of mine I had a say in everything!! To me I feel stupid for not knowing that in the past and I have 5 kids. You'd think that after 5 I'd know this but I was wrong. So out of all my pregnancies if have to say my last was the best and if I have any more ill know now. So don't feel stupid for not knowing anything!!! My thing is as said before it will come natural. Babies have a natural sucking reflex so I suggest doing skin to skin nursing. Let him be naked laying on your naked chest and let him nurse. It may hurt you may get sore nipples but there's stuff for that. It is the most amazing thing ever and best bonding experience ever!!! As I'm typing this I'm laying in bed nursing my son now!!!! You can do it. And another thing don't get upset or give up!!! Keep telling your self you can do it!!! If you baby is pooping and peeing he's getting food. That's another thing. Some women's milk does not come in right away and they think their child isn't getting food. Well if they are pooping and peeing they are getting something!!! Best of luck and as said above check out the support groups. I know WIC has breast feeding support groups!!!
  • That sounds like a great idea! Hope you find one that works with you soon.