latch on

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding
Okay so my newest addition is a great eater but I just need to get her latch right. Well at the hospital the lactation consultant is great and was helping me but now that i came home I'm back to square one and I can't get the correct latch on my own and its frustrating cause i know what it suppose to feel like and i can't get it again. Idk what to do because I can't keep going on doing it wrong or I'm gonna pay for it in a couple days....

Comments

• edited June 2012
    The baby's mouth should open real wide & take in as much as possible from the top lip. Imagine opening your mouth real wide to bite a huge sandwich... your top lip kind of goes over the bun, if that makes sense. Also, once baby is latched on, make sure her lips are both open like fish lips. Hope that helps!
  • @wilsomom I know what I'm suppose to do but i just can't get her to do it on my own.
  • I don't have enough hands. I can't get her to open her mouth enough
  • Oh, I see lol. Is it bc she's wiggling? If so you can swaddle her. Or if she won't wake up then you undress her. I know it's hard at first, takes a lot of practice. I think the football hold is good at first bc you can completely control her head.
  • I think she has to be really awake to open good. Are you rubbing the side of her cheek to get her to open up?
  • Some babies just need to learn themselves. My daughter would not latch on to save her life. I had LCs sometimes 2 in the same room and had numerous nurses try to help me. with my son he latched on right away
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks ladies. I just really want to get it this time so I'm stressing