seperation anxiety

edited June 2012 in Parenting
I am a young (20) married mother of my first beautiful little girl. My great grandfather died and his funeral is tomorrow and I can't be there but my mother wanted to take my baby (9 months) back to the home town (2 hours away) to see family that hasn't met her that are coming to the funeral. Just the thought made me want to cry. I haven't been away from her more then 6 hours since she was born and realize my separation anxiety is extreme. I feel guilty now that she's here and I didn't let her go but I know I would have cried alot if she did...any tips on helping mothers get through/ over this?

Comments

• Side note....she wasn't even going to be with my parents out of town for 24 hours lol that's how extreme it is
  • Its very hard the first time and there isnt much you can do except just do it :( Its never easy but it gets better with time
  • I deff have this my baby can't be far away from me :( its just horrible even when my hubby takes him around the corner to kroger I'm freaking out and he is 15months
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I used to be like that when I'd leave her with grandparents. But I'd leave a three page list of her schedule, likes/dislikes, how to make her stop crying, how to put her to bed, what and when to feed her...now I know that they know, so its easy. Anyone else...nope!
  • I agree with @homebirthadvocate it will effect the kids
  • Thanks everyone for your advice...I know I will definitelyis keep a brave face for her I just need to just let her go with them...if I made a list my parents would follow it but when she goes to visit my mil..my mil will give her any and everything...makes her eat almost a full meal every hour and that's with me there monitoring the situation... only God knows what she would do with her alone...that's part of my fear of her leaving me
  • If you parents will listen to u then maybe allow a short Just you going to the store, a hair cut or get ur nails done. Take baby steps and as for the mil not until she is old enough not to be stuffed to over filling.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My daughter just spent like an hour with my MIL for the first time and she is 13months. My mom has gotten her for a few hours because I know she would do.what I would want and I wasn't sure about my MIL. I completely get how you feel. Maybe let your parents watch her for an hour or something then slowly allow.more time. As for the in laws if they won't do.what you want don't I wouldn't do it but that's just me.
  • It's so hard :( My 4th baby is now 7 months old and I am going through it with her...this is my 4th time and I still do it! I haven't left her but a couple times since she has been both to either to go the store or twice to work. I also ebf so it does make it harder but still....I have never been away from any of my kids more than 3 days and that has happened only a few times, my oldest is almost 9. I feel your pain.