say what did this grandma do. keep it clean this was on the news

edited July 2012 in Current Events
Most of us have all struggled with mother-in-law issues from time to time. We can cut her some slack. After all, we women do take her baby boy. Who can blame her for not wanting to cut those apron strings too quickly?

Still, there are issues and then there are ISSUES, and a recent inquiry to Dear Prudie's column on Slate is the latter kind. A young new mom walked in on her mother-in-law NURSING her newborn son. Let that sink in a moment, if you will. She walked in on her mother-in-law with her (bone-dry) breast in the baby's mouth (OMG! OMG!).

Assuming this is true and not a means of shocking readers, there isn't a new mom out there who isn't cringing right now. This is Hand That Rocks the Cradle times a billion, no?

Breastfeeding is such an intensely personal and unique experience meant to be shared only by mother and child. I realize many women believe in cross nursing one another's babies and that is all fine and good. But that is consensual. I would be pretty furious if someone nursed my baby without my permission and even more furious if they did so with a dry breast.

Putting your dry breast in a child's mouth for any purpose other than feeding without the permission of the child's mother is abuse. Is it sexual abuse? Maybe, maybe not. But it's abuse. It's an abuse of trust, of position, and of love. Any person who really wants to comfort a baby can use a pacifier or, in dire circumstances, even a clean pinkie finger (though I would rather they hand the baby over to me, naturally).

This is just unacceptable. Sure, my mother-in-law has made judgy comments I don't like, but this crosses the line of basic human decency.

As a mom who nursed for years and does miss that bond a lot, I get that desire to put baby to breast, but if it isn't your baby, you PUT THE BABY DOWN and go get yourself some mental help. Jeesh.

Personally, I would never want to let my mother-in-law hold my baby again. I would be absolutely sick over it.

Comments

• Ew wtf?? Stories like this make me glad I don't have a MIL lol.
  • Ewe, seriously, I'm shivering, that is so so sick xxx
  • what are they gonna do oh my god I can't believe that happened I would be so angry would never let that woman see my baby again
  • I would flip the eff out! I bottle feed, but still..no woman needs to put her breast in a babys face that doesnt belong to them. Sexual abuse? Hmm, thats a tough one, but its definitely screwed up. I dont think id let my MIL be alone with my child ever again. EVER
  • Ohhhh my!
  • Can we say Psychic ward
  • All i can say is YUCK! Eeek its just way too far.
  • That is disgusting!!
  • Gross...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would have told her the same thing the women told her "be gone by the morning!" I also read the husband didn't want to call the cops like the mother did. But yeah...I would have flipped da f*** out on my MIL if I saw that!
  • This is utterly, utterly disgusting.
  • @kayleigh27- shoot I would have told her there's the door don't let it hit her on the ass on her way out. Right then and there.
    @captivated - exactly
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As totally and i really mean totally TOTALLY discusting this is... Its kinda sad to think of how the grandma must have had a moment where she just really REALLY miss when her kids were babies... In no way excuses this behavior. Kinda makes me wanna vomit. Id prolly shoot my mil if she did this.
  • Smh eeeew X(
  • edited July 2012
    My mother in law did with my son!! but I didnt find out intill my son was 8 months. N she tried to joke n say she was going to do it to my daughter....why do they think its funny?? Why do they do it??? Like I know she was n is still a mom but my boob is clean for my baby idk bout her....idk I just dnt like it to tell u the truth.
    but I wouldn't call the cops. But I would point out her mistake! N make it clear not to do it again.