Disciplining or teaching no...

edited July 2012 in Parenting
How the heck do I do this? He just laughs when I spank him or swat his hand and tell him no

Comments

• I've been wondering the same thing. My daughter just looks At me like I'm crazy.
  • Yeah I kno how it goes I'm goin crazy too but I have 5 mon thru Friday and 3 sat and sun ughhhh
  • He's too young to understand if they response that way. But how else will they learn when it IS time things click? It's frustrating now but you should keep saying "no" firmly, then walk away if you have to
  • They will learn my son knows not to touch certain things like the laptop he wants to so bad its so funny he sits in front of it pretends like he will touch it n says stop n look at us we say yes stop no no he smiles n crawl away the same with going into the kitchen he is not allowed to crawl into the kitchen he sits in the doorway n says stop or if he really wants to go in he sits at the doorway n cries lol
  • Its trying but just be consistent. I use time outs. My son doesn't respond to no...I don't spank but I do threaten with it...I say you want a spankin...he says sure. So I didn't even go there bc I realized he has no clue what I'm talking about. But now after about 3 months of consistent timeouts he is getting there. If he doing something bad I say do you want a timeout? At first I would get the confused look now tho he will say no. I give him time to stop if it continues I tell him timeout he sits for two min bc he is two. If the child is younger, bc my daughter seemed to gt it earlier ...we started around 1 with her. You also need to make sure timeouts are not in their room, not near a tv that is on. Also do not speak to them while in time outs. If they get up put them back and don't say anything to them. Start the time over. I do mine in the dining room and on a chair. Its tough but consistent is the word. If we are out we still do them, usually my fiance will take him outside if we are out to eat for two mins and ask if he is ready to come back. Also make sure you get down to their level after the time is up and explain why they are there and say sorry. I used to think my fiance used time outs for dumb things but it really gives you a chance to calm yourself and take a step back. Good luck:)
  • @Sehra4177 great advice thanks @hot2cold87 yeah I figured he is still young to quite get it but when they laugh or something its like crap what do I do now haha @blessedtxmom I've start just moving him to since the no was getting me no where. @mamalove I'm working on that as well its so easy to laugh when he is doing something not wanted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You have to do an actual training session, daily, as a teaching tool. Just disciplining when they're doing something wrong won't teach them consistently enough. A training session would look something like this: You set something in the middle of the floor (on purpose). You tell them not to touch it. As soon as they touch it, firmly say no, then give a little swat on the hand. Yes, you are on purpose "setting them up" so to speak, but it's a training session in a controlled environment. So when they reach for a hot stove or run towards the street, they will know how to obey. If they're laughing you're not swatting hard enough. There has to be a little pain associated with the word no so they understand what no means. Then once they learn, you only have to say no & that's all. Sometimes a little flick with your fingers is better than a smack, it induces a little pain in a very small way. I'm sorry, I hope this makes sense, I feel like I just wrote a book! Lol :)
  • I forgot to say idk how old your little one is, but I start whenever they start crawling & getting into things. Also, think of the garden of eden, God put the tree of knowledge in the middle of the garden & said don't touch. Lol
  • Right now I just tell him no no and he looks at me with a lil grin like I'm an idiot. Lol
  • @wilsomom my mother in law used to do that with her kids... Well sorta.... She used to call them into the road and would keep doing.it till they wouldn't go to her
  • my son is 14 months, and when i tell him "no" he crys and screams, a few times hes hit me. oh and when it comes time to get dress or diaper change, and lay him down he freaks and screams and crys and flings himself around. ughhh! its bad lol.
  • I don't know what it is, but if my boyfriend tells my son no, he listens. But when I get my serious voice out he just giggles and gives me super smug smiles. Like, he glances around trying not to smile, then just busts out. -.- it's so frusterating.
  • My sons 9 months and when I say NO with a stern voice he stops and usually cries.
  • @morgdeebee that would be super confusing for my 3 1/2 year old. Maybe it would work later on. But if I'm telling him to come to me in the road he wouldn't get the reverse psychology of doing it I'm sure.
  • @mamalove no I totally agree with you I'm pretty sure ny husband was only like 4-5 when she did it. I know if I was little and my mom is calling me I'm gonna go to her!
  • My son does the same thing if I tap his hands he laughs and does it back glad I'm not the only one
  • edited July 2012
    I took this infant health class and they strongly recommend that you don't spank your child under the age of 24 months because they are continuously doing things and they're not responding to no. Babies dont understand and they think its a game. You're actually introducing or teaching hitting.

They said to tell them no and then move them away from the problem area and distract them by giving them a toy.

• Thanks I didn't know that @ynvtish
  • I have that problem also. But my kids are older. We have tried many things. From spaking, firmly saying to stop, to timeouts. Nothing is helping. And being in the shelter doesnt help.
  • Yep.. to young to understand!
    But they're are so cute when they smile:) n laugh!
  • My baby is 16 months when I tell him no he has different reaction he might scream and try to smack me I hold his hand and tell him no 'bye bye in the crib' what I do when he is doing things on purpose I put him in his crib for 'timeout' I do this after I had told him no a lot and he doesn't listen then when I bring him back he will sit still and behave