Anybody NOT do a 1st birthday party?

edited July 2012 in Babies "First's"
I have SERIOUSLY been job searching since March. I've even had interviews, its so stressful.

If I don't find one, Malia isn't getting a birthday party.. and even though SHE wont remember, it will break my heart. She will be 1 on August 25th.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We didn't really have a party since its just my husband, daughter, and myself out here. We just got her a little cake to smash and took lots of pictures.
  • My son doesn't turn one til the end of September, but I keep debating on whether or not I want to have one. I'm such an introvert that I'd prefer it just be me my son and my husband, but that's selfish of me. But then again we don't have a lot of friends with kids so if we invite them I feel like I'll just be saying "buy my son a gift". But we're not really close with the people we do know that have kids so I feel like that whole party will just be awkward. *sigh* it just stresses me out.
    But honestly I think a cake is all any baby needs on their birthday! The cake is where it's at!!!! :) so even if it's a small, family style birthday, you're lo is going to love it. :)
    And best of luck with the job interviews!
  • I don't think there is abutting wrong with not doing a huge party! Just as long as you celebrate with the most important people that's all that matters!

You could always do a pot luck BBQ if you really wanted a party!
  • My little one will turn one on august 25th and we have no money, i doubt that we will have any money then, so i will most likely not do a party :(
  • I bought everything for my sons first birthday party I'm talking everything planned for months. We got into a car crash that really messed with our finances. So since I couldn't return the stuff I kept it. Instead we got his cake and some decorations and our closets family members made their way to the zoo and we spent it there :) it was actually lots of fun! I still have tons of first birthday party things but since I'm having another boy I'm saving the stuff for his first birthday. Ill just make a real party for my son on his second :) money is really needed for a big party unless you are creative and can make some things but having a party with the closets people is what matters :) not cleaning up after 100 peoples mess and hardly getting to spend any timke with ur baby on his bday
  • Reality @caroline8_p ... If times are tight it makes waaay more sense to not have a party. By the time you buy food, cake, decorations and a gift you've probably spent more money then you'll get back in gifts.

Child # 3 didn't get a party until she was 4 years old. I mean we had cake and ice cream at the house but no blown up party. Times were hard and we learned with the first few it wasny necessary to have something she couldn't remember.

My 1yr old Haylee is my fiances baby and this is his first so his family takes ANYTHING pertaining to her to another level. I just sit back and let them go at it.
  • For both my kids I just had family over. Just bake a cake and have it mid day so everyone eats before they come. Let them know just cake is being served. They will understand. I did it like that bc one, the kids really don't remember it, two you can still get pics of them eating cake so they can see when they are older. Also some places (if you have a giant in your area or other grocery stores may do it) usually they give a free cake for first bdays. I did the free cake bc its small and that is the one I had them eat to get pics. Its hard and trust me once they get older (my daughter is 8) now its more pressure to have a party at a "cool" expensive place, so something small now as they get older you'll def be putting more into it. Plus your love and a couple of close family members will make her happy:)
  • i didnt have a party for my son! we just opened presents at nanny and grandads house then went out for the day as a family to like a park and farm place! then we had a meal out and went to play on the swings! took loads of pics and had a fab day and was happy that we spend it with people who really mattered!!
  • I don't do first bday parties. They are just too little. We get a little cake and a present or two. That's it :)
  • Im.doing one but just mine and bfs family.is and a.few friends is all
  • You all help me feel better about this. It was only going to be close friends and family, which is about 10-15 all together. Wasn't going to cook anything, just some snacks and drinks. I wanted a smash cakes for her, and a normal cake or cupcakes for everyone else.

I really like the idea of just going out for a day as a family, doing something fun like the zoo.
  • For my son we didn't do a 1st birthday..bad excuse..but his bday is dec.9.. and its freaking cold!
    now we always have to find something indoors.

But for his first bday..we went out to dinner w/my family and walked around FOA toy store.its huge..like 2 stories..and went home had some cake..thats all, we enjoyed it:)