chemo side effects suck

OK I have about an hour till I go in to start my first course of chemo. I have been awake since 4am as I am to nervous etc to sleep it is now 610am. I have had so much running through my head I've already made myself sick a few times and that's before all the needles start.

Will update once I'm hooked up etc.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good luck Mike, you'll be in my thoughts..
  • Good luck I hope you get done with minimal side effects.
  • Good luck! You'll do just fine.
  • Good luck! You are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Well they took one look at my veins and decides I will make a horrible junkie lol. Am having a port put in soon as even simple blood draw took them 5 goes and me passing out twice lol.

Am going to be here for about 5 or 6hrs today but next time should be 3 or 4 at most. Should be hooked up and running in next 30 minutes or so.
  • Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible! Thinking of you!
  • Am now ported and been hooked up to drip with all the disgusting crap they are going to pump into me today. This will take 4 hours and then another hour for observation since its first round.

@1stWoodsBaby @Mama_Kat @trixiesmom8 @Lourdes26us1 @angel26 @bexiewexie @JoshnEviesmum @BlessedTXMom thanks
  • Thinking of you!
  • I know the port sounds horrible (at least to me it did when they were telling me about how they were going to pace it and all that) but in the long run it is so much easier. Better then being suck in the arm each time. A little numbing cream over your port (at least my daughter gets it anyway) and your good to go.
    I hope your first day went as well as it could go for what you have to go through.
  • Good luck!!! I hope all goes fast and smooth for ya.
  • @Mallory27 yeah I think I turned white as a ghost when they said port because I really felt off for a while. Have had drugs going for a while now and feel like crap but kinda did before hand to lol. I am thinking nausea is going to be biggest issue other than being tired. Will definitely keep the numbing cream in mind though as I'm sure it will be uncomfortable soon enough.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I hope everything goes well for you ! good luck %%-
  • Thanks for the updates. Lol about horrible junkie. My husband has great veins. Lol.
  • @angel26 I'm dehydrated which didn't help but mine always hide lol.

Half hour to go of drip but they want me to keep some food done of some sort before I go. Have headache from hell and hugging a bucket for last hour lol. I just want to go home to bed and sleep.
  • Hang in there! I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm glad we can help support you!
  • edited July 2012
    Got my sister in law to eat half of the sandwich they gave me to eat lol lol and heading home soon.
  • Awe hun prayers. Love sent your way
  • I hope they gave you some nausea meds. If not you should ask for some! Sorry your getting sick:-( Hope you get some sleep!
  • @Mallory27 they gave me tablets which I promptly threw back up lol. Is more of a seedy hangover feeling now without the fun. I've had about an hours sleep on lounge but yeah.
  • Well managed to talk wife into allowing me to break the diet since I haven't been able to eat all day. I ended up managing to eat and keep down a piece of pizza and that was an hour ago lol. Have just had some meds for pain and nausea which seem to be helping. Am tired as hell and feel like I have been hit by a truck which I'm sure is a normal side effect from what I've read.

Have slept on and off all afternoon and its now 9pm here and am wide awake lol. Oh well my sister in law bought me a CSI boxset on DVD and big bang theory box set yay. Gotta love her lol.
  • I hope you get through this with minor symptoms! We are all here rooting for you I guess its ok to break ur diet u haven't ate at all! I love the big bang theory!
  • I love the big bang theory! Good you get/got some sleep.
  • So proud of you! What a trooper!
  • OK I think I officially know how you guys feel with morning sickness lol. Wouldn't be so bad but I amstarting back at work today and only doing a half day to see how I go with being tired etc.

Everyone's support so far has been awesome and thanks.
  • Day one- Done! Good on ya Mike, keep strong. xx
  • OK so today is third full day since first chemo session and my god someone kill me please. I haven't even had the energy to get out of bed today other than to walk 3 metres to the toilet and even that has been a struggle. I feel so depressed and angry with myself as I can't even get up to take kids to school or pick them up. Am really hoping this gets easier because I just can't deal with the emotional side effects or physical limitations that are stopping me from time with the kids.

Worse is our bub is sick again so I can only be near him if I'm wearing a mask and then I feel even worse because he doesn't want to come to me then.

I knew this would be a very hard trying time for me and the family but right now I am struggling to find the strength to carry on. I just keep trying to remember one step at a time is all I can try for. Thanks to @everyone so far because it really means a lot to me. My wife is hurting to as I can see she doesn't really know what to say or do to help me. I know she has been crying herself to sleep most nights but I'm not sure if its this or all the fights we have been having.

Well there's just a update of my rubbish Thursday.
  • Hang in there. When all treatments are done and your cancer free you'll feel like a new man. But for now get cozy with a bucket and try to relax. Reassure your wife that you're both gonna get through this. You have to stay strong even when you feel weak. Hopefully your body gets used to it and your side effects will subside.
  • I am so sorry sounds like your body is not taking it so good maybe next time it can be easier and slowly get used to it? I don't know since I've never been there but one of my choreographers is going through this right now and he had to stay at the hospital for long time because the first part of his treatment was so crazy but I know that he always says that what gets him through it is to try to go on as normal as possible. Like his still teaching and was even doing class for himself while he was staying at the hospital he said it was hard at first but the me he kept going the easier it got. I'm sure everyone is different but your very strong I know you can do this!