Microcephaly

Lady-aww she's so cute, how old is she?
Me-9months old.
Lady-shes getting so big.
-this is where i think i made a strange face-
Lady- i only say this cause mine(baby) is soo small.
Me- oh, how old is she?
Lady-2
-mind you shes in and infant seat and teeny tiny-
Me- 2months or 2yrs?
-even though i felt it was 2yrs-
Lady- years. She's got some issues.
Me- why is she so little?
Lady- well she has microcephaly.

The conversation continued a little more but my heart sank. It broke me to see the pain in her mothers eyes as she spoke of it. The dad didnt say much. I can tell by how tiny she was that it was severe. She was maybe 12-13lbs and shes 2yrs old. You could tell by her facial expressions that mentally she wasnt there.

Things like this make me think twice and thank god that my daughters problem is her legs and hips. And that with physical theraphy she'll learn to crawl and eventually walk.

I cant even imagine how you mamas cope with children with mental diasabilities and brain abnormalities. You women are truely anazing.

Im not sure how some will take this post but please keep it drama free.

Comments

• I know what you mean as we had a scare with this very disease during wife's pregnant y with zander and it scared the crap out of us then.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Aww my heart breaks for her and other mommys that have children with disabilities. :(
  • I've never even heard of this. So her baby looks like an infant or just like a midget?
  • My daughter was diagnosed with microcephaly along with her eye problems. Were hoping drs are wrong though because laila is reaching her milestones slowly but surely! She just doesnt want to grow is the problem. I must say it is hard to cope at first but its not so bad as time goes on
  • edited July 2012

"Video to raise awareness of microcephaly (small head/brain), which is a neurological disorder that is more common than autism. 2 1/2% of the entire population is affected by microcephaly - less than 1% of the population is diagnosed with autism -- Microcephaly is under-recognized and often overlooked. People need to know about this all too common disorder! Visit www.childrenwithmicro.org for more information!"

or youtube: Foundation for Children with Microcephaly

This video just made me bawl. Very sad.
  • @ynvtish check out the video @captivated posted.
  • @ynvtish, I posted the video from my computer so if you can't click the link, type in Foundation for children with microcephaly in the search bar on youtube. I was curious what this looked like as well and this video showed up. I cried and cried, especially when they switched to a video clip of a baby during some procedure. I don't know why it hit me like that, but it did. Then the video of the boy laughing. Made me cry harder.
  • I really do agree. They are strong women. We will always love our children no matter how they come we will believe they are beautiful.
  • @captivated .. I'm an emotional freak so I can't handle a eye dripping video. I googled pictures. Wow! Blown away!