getting rid of pacifier

edited July 2012 in Ages & Stages
Is ten months too young? I know I did it at the same time with my older son, but I don't remember how it went he didn't seem to care even though he loved it too. Were cutting them out cold turkey and im getting nervous. I feel that he is way too atratched to it and the longer I wait the more of a problem it will be. Any advice? I think im going to just do it now, he hasn't had since he woke up this morning.

Comments

• Cut the very tip off then he cant suck it and will throw it down. Also 10 months is not to early. Nothing worse than seeing a 2-3 yr old with a binkie in there mouth. Jmo
  • McKinley is 13 months, and uses hers only while sleeping. Ee were going to stop at a year, but we had just moved to a new house, & thought there might if been too much change. I think well do it on the next long weekend. Cold turkey.

Ten months doesn't sound bad to me. Or you could try only doing it at sleep time.
  • II agree with kindell tho, I don't like watching kids walk around with them in their mouths!!
  • Yea I hate seeing with them that old too. Ah well it is 930 and he hasn't cared yet. But I've been rocking him for half hour and he hasn't fallen asleep yet. He usually takes a morning nap and I know he is tired, atleast he is not mad. @natashalynn @kindell
  • And he is now asleep without, here's to hoping his big brother doesn't wake him up now.
  • 10 months is the perfect age imo. Ive learned that taking em all away cold turkey really works best. Maybe a day or two of missing it then thats it. :-
  • Congrats. Have a game plan, but don't give in! Could be a rough few days, but soon, he won't even remember it!
  • I need to take my babygirl off hers too she is really attatched to hers she is also 10 months
  • @blessedtimes2 its not as bad as you think it is going to be
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I took Connors away at 18 months. We did it little by little and it worked great for us. He has no damage to this teeth. I plan on doing the same with Jack.
  • @Mom2ING @HomeBirthAdvocate @sands3 Thanks ladies! We have made it two whole weeks and it has been great, he never really noticed and didnt even care after the first day. I think he is actually a happier baby (he is always happy though) without it, he doesnt fuss to get it and it is a lot nicer not having to worry about always having it with us and him using it for a crutch to sleep. He is down to two bottles a day and next week we will remove one more of those, my baby is growing up! It is exciting yet sad. Oh and it is not his teeth I was worried about, he has none, and my other boy did not get teeth until 15 months either but we took the pacifier away around ten months also. I just felt like they were too dependent on it, and I dont like how they ALWAYS wanted it in there mouths, I figured it was easiest to get it done with while they were too young to really know.
  • My son had his til 2.5
  • Wow thats awesome my son was the same way but my gurls are totally different im always chasing my 2 year old cuz she takes the babys away from her an im the same way i dont want her walking around wit a binkie at 2 shes a binkie addict lol i cant wait till the baby is a lil older so i can get rid of them