grapes

edited July 2012 in Food
Hey mommas! For those of you that give your LO's grapes, have you figured out a good way to get the skin off the grape? It takes me FOREVER to peel them. Anyone have any good tricks or tips? Also, why do we have to.take the skin off?? Ive never known. Just heard I was supposed to.

Comments

• Lol I would love to know as well! Ollie loves grapes but I hate peeling them!
  • I've never peeled them. I just cut them up. The skin has good nutrients
  • I don't peel them, I just cut them up.
  • @sands3 & @starrXoxo9. REALLY? Id LOVE to not have to peel! It's such a pain! If it's not "mandatory" then to heck with peeling!!

@ashley_smashley Keegan loves them too! I can't peel as fast as she eats.
  • Lol I never heard of having to peel them! I just read to cut them up! Tmi warning though, they don't always fully digest, kinda like corn lol!!!
  • Yea there's no need. Just cut them so lo doesn't choke.
  • I don't peel them, and my lo hasn't had any problems. I don't peel cherries either.
  • I don't peel them either...my son kinda eats it off and then eats the insides. I've tried cutting them but he likes to peel it with his teeth for some reason. Same with apples, he doesn't want it peeled he likes to pull the skin off with his teeth...
  • You guys have made me SO excited!! Thank you!!
    Lol, oh the tiniest things that excite me since becoming a mom.
    @sehra4177 @starrxoxo9 @sands3 @Erika22
  • Lol, same here. If they don't like it you'll find it all over. My son like I said likes to peel it with his teeth. But I find the peels all over the house. But it is exciting...sometimes he will even try to peel the banana with his teeth...I swear he is part animal ;) its good your lo likes fruit:)
  • @sehra4177 lol oh I bet that's like a treasure hunt. what all fruit does your LO eat? Keegan eats and LOVES grapes and mandarin oranges. We haven't tried any other fruits because I'm not sure what is okay to try.
  • Madison loves nectarines or pluots aren't as messy. I take a bite out it then she chews/sucks down to the seed. It takes her like 30 minutes to do so lol so i usually do the dishes
  • I have to peel them lol Ollie looks at me like I am nuts when he puts one in his mouth that has the skin...lol but this boy will eat and chew up anything else but that grape skin gets him every time!
  • @kimberly4411 lol aw its like a little babysitter. I have a wild child. I dont think anything, or at least anything ive found thus far, can occupy her that long.

@ashley_smashley hm thats so strange. Wonder what it is about that skin.
  • Haven't tryed grapes but GD to know
  • edited July 2012
    My daughter loves blueberries cut in half and cut up peaches, plums, mangos, and kiwi. Our pediatrician said just to avoid citrus fruits and fruits with the seeds on the outside until one year (i.e. strawberries, blackberries, etc).
  • @kjackmom awesome. good info. thanks!!
  • I never peeled the grapes for Logan. I just quartered them so they weren't a choking hazard. @ashley_smashley since.Ollie is so picky about the skin, maybe try blanching them in boiling water for a sec then puttting them in iced water? It works for tomatoes and peppers...maybe grapes? I've never tried it, but might help peeling. Haha
  • You're welcome!!! :) @1stWoodsBaby
  • @rtmommy that's a good idea! Might pick some grapes up and try that!
  • edited July 2012
    @ashley_smashley let me know how that works out :)
  • Well he is two now but when he started table food I gave him cantaloupe, honeydew melon, watermelon, he loves bananas...strawberries. raisins. He didn't like the texture of the honeydew and cantaloupe tho he would touch it to pick it up and gag before it even went in his mouth. He still has a bad gag reflex:( I've also tried peaches, pears...those were the same with gagging.