tattoos and breastfeeding

edited July 2012 in Breastfeeding
I'm planing on getting this tattoo tomorrow but I am still breastfeeding my 8month old daughter do y'all think its safe? My mommy in law says i can't get it but my mom says its safe and my older sister got one while she breasted. I feel like caught in the middle of both of them please help.
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/krystalorange3/PicsArt_1342821191638.png

Comments

• I've heard its only bad if it becomes infected, so if you keep it clean it shouldn't be a problem. But, I'd contact the artist and see what they say.
  • Many artists won't do it (that's why they ask on the forms... at least mine always have). The ink can sometimes not hold well, but that all depends on size, color, placement, and of course your body chemistry.
  • My guy won't do them either! He said i had to wait til i was done bfing.
  • A tattoo artist won't usually do a tattoo on a pregnant or breastfeeding woman because of the potential risks. It is actually safe to do while breastfeeding so long as it is clean, sterile, and no infection occurs. So it really just boils down to if you feel like lying and saying that you are not BFing.
  • I don't think so the form I signed all the times I went they have a check box that ask if you could be pregnant or are breastfeeding and he asks again once you have signed and said no.
  • Can't you do it and then just pump and dump for a couple days? With baby being that old you would think your milk supply is pretty established.
  • If I were you I'd just wait until I was done bfing so that way you won't have to question anything
  • I have been wondering the same thing. I disn't really think there wiuld b an issue tho
  • I personally would wait until after I was done bfing...