UPDATE: THE FLIPPIN NERVE OF THIS GIRL:If someone smokes cigarettes in my house....

Can I press child-endangerment charges?

Back-story: We've been letting bf/bd's childhood best-friend stay in our spare bedroom indefinitely. Partly because we want to help him out because he just moved back to the area and left a bad relationship. Plus, he's a great guy and we really like having him around. A few weeks ago, he started dating a girl I used to be friends with before I started having children (and am still fb-friends with...and a good fb-friend at that...e.g. I always "like" her new etsy-shop pages, and whenever she asks for help, I try to come up with a resolution). Well long story short, they aren't dating anymore because she's "still in love" with her ex. BF/BD's friend confessed that while they were dating she would insist on smoking in the house. Now she knows that we have 2 small children downstairs; Therefore, we do not under any circumstances allow smoking inside....I also make everyone who smokes wash their hands & faces when they come back inside after smoking, and (if it's less than 80 degrees outside...I'm not a total tyrant, lol) I make smokers wear a smoking jacket/shirt, because I've done all the research on 2nd and 3rd hand smoke...

Now, I'm not mad at our roommate (he managed to make in downstairs/outside to smoke). But in his words, "I tried to talk her into going outside; she just kept insisting it was okay. I had a naked girl in my bed who just had sex with me, so I would have felt like a total d-bag if I forced her to get dressed to go outside and smoke..." However, I am absolutely livid with this girl and REALLY wish I could press charges for this!!!

Am I totally bat-sh*t? Does anyone else feel this strongly about cigarette-smoking? Btw, I smoke casually/socially and I ALWAYS follow my own rules...it's not that flippin' hard!

UPDATE: For a couple weeks now roommate has been trash-talking this girl (asking where the closest planned parenthood or health dept. that does STD screens is) Tonight, I get a missed call from her and a text from him saying "_____ is sorry and she'd like to come in the house". I text back something to the effect of "h*ll f'n no!" and went on to explain that I have 2 tiny human beings to which I am their first and best line of defense against this world. Well, roommate (bd's childhood bestfriend) didn't speak to me when he came in. (Now, I've been thinking of babynewyear2012 and baby Archer for the better part of the day. So, maybe I'm hyper-sensitive). But I tried to explain how lucky we were that Uriah never needed any oxygen support (very unusual for a 29-weeker) and his lung function was and is so good (no sign of asthma at 3 years old),im not about to tempt fate by allowing anyone to smoke around my kids. I concluded my monologue by stating I have very few rules. He said nothing.

I have a feeling we'll be reclaiming our guest room soon ...

@davidnaadynsmama @hba @salasmommy @captivated @mommyof3girls (lucky for her, I was in the middle of my personal rendition of "I see the moon"...part of my 3yo's bedtime routine...when she pulled up in my driveway...I can't pull the verbal smack-down out in front of my son) @kindell @mom2ing (yeah, I thought she was a non-issue...) @ynvtish @natashalynn @cristinalynn

Comments

• No, you cant press charges for that. I smoke A LOT but dont smoke around my children. I dont go as far as you, with making ppl wash hands etc, but no one is allowed to smoke around them
  • @davidnaadynsmama yeah, I didn't think so...I think in most states ppl are still allowed to smoke in cars with children!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know exactly what you mean when I used to smoke ciggaretts I would wash my hands I'm talking scrub them. My husband smokes and he washes his hands al the time because my son loves to be with him. I mean when you smoke your hands smell like it I know I smoked I don't think you r completely crazy. And if someone ever smoked inside my house I would throw them the f out. Everyone knows second hand smoke is bad. I'm glad my hubby is understanding I don't even have to tell him he washes his hands on his own and chews gum changes his shirt
  • Lol no. Smoking is legal. That would be like pressing charges because someone was drinking alcohol in your house or a cigar.

But that is rude as HELL. I don't even smoke in my own house and even if I did, I would never smoke in someone's house that did not allow it.
  • Have you talked to her about it? That would be the first thing I would do. Remain calm, but tell her that she was wrong and you have children in the house.
  • To b honest... I would flip out on her. Who cares! Its ur house, ur kids to protect. Do what u gotta do. Of course it would b wise to b adult about it and talk to her about it first but if she continues... Let hell fly.
  • Id kill the bicth..... I dont smoke. I also make people do that. Id make her pay to have the sheets and everything dry cleaned to get the smell out.
  • I agree @mom2ing. I wouldnt bring it up because it is over and done with. If it was an ongoing issue, totally different.
  • I wish they band smoking all together. I would be pissed if someone smoked in my house period.

Personally... The girl has no morals as it is. Smoking in your house was just the straw that broke the camels back.
  • Im a smoker, and I will say that's just wrong. Ban the bitch from your house & be done!
  • Noooo don't bam smoking completely @YNVTish lol I would go completely bonkers!!!
  • edited July 2012
    Lol. Smoking will never ever be banned. Too much money rolls in from it.
  • edited August 2012
    Just to emphasize how "cool" (read: not-neurotic) I am, I let the boys occasionally smoke pot in the house (when the kids are gone)....and I don't smoke pot (anymore...not since WAY before my kids were even a foreshadow of a thought). So, its not as though I'm being a hypocrite (I occasionally smoke cigarettes but don't allow cigarette smoking in my house. I don't smoke pot but would rather bd&co smoked in the house vs. going to jail...presuming the kids are not in the house). I feel like I've been pretty chill (btw, I've been paying rent or made mortgage payments since I was 17...I'm 32...and this is the first time I've EVER 86ed someone from one of my apartments/houses)

Whew, vent over (who was I just talking to about catharsis?)