Advice and help needed.......

edited July 2012 in Sleep
On getting Riley my almost 9 month old to go to sleep in his cot (awake) and self soothe. I can't do the cry it out method and that is all my health visitors seem to want to suggest. Please, any tips and things I could try greatly appreciated!

Comments

• What I do is put Evie in, and say night night, kiss her and then put her washing away, clear up her room, or sit on her toy chest and stalk pregly with my back to her lol. I dont speak to her at all, or let her see me looking at her, but i do occasionally pop her dummy back in if shes dropped it. This normally takes about 15 minutes and then shes soundo for the night.
  • Might try that, he can get in such a state when I put him in the cot but hopefully if I stay there he might not! Sometimes I find the health visitors so set in their ways! I'm doing the routine posted by Wilsomom so really want to get the sleep sorted and then it will be perfect! He doesn't have a dummy, think he always though sucking should equal food so he never liked it!
  • lucky, I wish Evie didnt, but oh well. Yeah, Wilsomoms schedule did look good : -) And Evie was a nightmare until she realised i was still there, now she plays in there quietly and sends herself asleep.
  • I had trouble with this too. What worked for us was to nurse him until he was drowsy (I was formerly nursing him to sleep) and then quickly put him down with his paci and blanket. At first he'd fuss for a minute but now I can put him down without nursing and he goes to sleep. :-) It also helps us to have a very dark room, a fan for white noise, and we spend a little time playing with his favorite toy in his room when he wakes from nap. I think that helped him associate his room as a nice place to be.
  • Oh and a nightlight with just a soft glow so the darkness isn't too scary. ;-)
  • @Ourlittlenugget Riley currently likes a bottle to go to sleep and we need to break that habit. Will be using some of your tips to, he already has a night light so that one is fine!
    Thanks ladies x