Probably the hormones, but I'm beyond upset.

Disclaimer: I'm usually calm and reasonable, and share very few tmi details. But seeing as I'm ranting. POTENTIAL TMI INFO AHEAD!

Okay. I've been in usual pain lately. Like my girl bits are not just swollen, they are bulging to the point of swelling shut. I can't walk, sleep, or function. My doctor gave me tramadol, and I had a horrible experience with it. Well I had an appointment today and was trying to explain how I felt to my doctor. He pretty much told me to deal with it. Or "you got pregnant so your problem not mine." Um excuse me? It's half his fault I'm pregnant in the first place. Okay maybe not, but it feels like it. He screwed up my birth control. I did everything right and still got pregnant. Anywho, my husband thought it was HILARIOUS. They started having a laugh at my expense. I started sobbing and walked out. Well. Struggled like a lame duck refusing to let anyone touch me, and waddled out. Now, let me make it clear that I have a high pain tolerance, and these assholes know it. I delivered twins vaginally with ZERO pain medication WHILE being induced with pitocin. Yeah, I know what I'm dealing with. So to be mocked for actually telling someone I hurt for once really stung my pride. My doctor is a sweetheart and so is my husband, that's why this whole thing caught me off guard. *sigh* I'm only 32 weeks, thick and fully closed. With only one baby. WHY am I struggling?

Comments

• I'm so sorry hun. That is awful of your doctor.

Also, tramadol really shouldn't be used in pregnancy..I'm surprised he prescribed you this? Why not Tylenol 3 or a low mg vicodin- at least those are "safe"/er.

"tramadol causes the following problems:

Decreased fetal weight
    Skeletal problems, such as extra ribs
    Delayed development in the offspring
    Miscarriages (but only at doses high enough to be toxic to the pregnant animals themselves).

chronic use of the drug during pregnancy can result in tramadol withdrawal in the newborn, including symptoms such as:

Trembling
    Rapid breathing
    A rapid heart rate
    Seizures
    Overactive muscle contractions."
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • No medical professional should EVER laugh at someone who says they are in pain! @mama_kat. This irks me personally. Pain is a HUGE deal to someone. It is life-altering. Not treating someone enough and laughing at them disgusts me. People being undertreated for pain pisses me off.
  • @captivated OMG I know! I totally looked it upit after I started feeling weird, and by then it was too late. I had withdrawal symptoms and only took it for two weeks... felt like my skin was riddled with ants, my heart was pounding, I was twitchy, and I didn't sleep for two days. I made sure to tell them NEVER to prescribe it again. As for my doctor, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt because he just came back from a two week vaca and already had a hell of a day. But to be dismissed so causually when I NEVER complain to him really hurt.
  • @Mama_Kat thank you! I seriously wanted to go off, but I was too upset. Part of me was just completely stunned that he said it. My doctor has never acted like that before and he's been my doctor for almost 5 years. I'm his easy patient- in and out, no complaints. So I expected to be heard!

@HomeBirthAdvocate I didn't know I could use that stuff still pregnant! Sweeeet. We have tons on hand because it helps my sons eczema. I will definitely try that as soon as I get home.
  • I know @MrsStanley_x2! Tramadol is not classified as a "narcotic" but has narcotic like-tendencies. What makes it worse is that the withdrawal from Tramadol is often worse than any other type of narcotic withdrawal. It hits ten times worse. People become extremely addicted without realizing it because it doesn't make you "high" and we think it's almost like tylenol or motrin. You would actually be better off with vicodin, percocet or codeine than the tramadol, in my opinion.

-Have been taking tramadol for a few months for pain, I went to stop like you did and felt just like you did above. I wasn't expecting that at all because tramadol isn't a narcotic! It doesn't even make you loopy. Well, now I know. Here to pass on the word, lol.
  • @captivated exactly! I never felt weird on it, just better! I didn't hurt and could clean and do things all day long. Then I ran out and thought I was dying. Because so many people say it's non-narcotic, I felt really embarrassed that I'd reacted to it like that. It feels really good to know I'm not crazy!

UPDATE: (@Mama_Kat this is for you, too). My husband and I were almost home and my doc office called and asked me to come back in.I honestly thought I'd left something. My doc sat me down in his office and apologized repeatedly, called me in stronger tylenol (I requested no narcotics or anything similar) and GAVE me a free momeeze (spelling?) Belly belt that they had from a rep. Again, started crying. But it restored a little faith in my doctor :) Still upset, but he definitely seemed sincere!
  • @Mama_Kat it didn't tag you the first time, dang it. Lol
  • Yes! I forgot to tag her! Dang emotions make me forgetful. Haha @Mama_Kat it definitely made me feel so much better. I'm glad that he wasn't just a big jerk this whole time and I didn't get the memo!
  • I'm so happy to read that update, because I just got really upset for you! And what about that dumb laughing man who actually got you pregnant and sees you in pain everyday? I hope he's making it up to you! ;-)
  • @Mama_Kat yess!! Woohoo!

@Ourlittlenugget Thank you my dear! When I actually tried to tell him how I felt while bawling in the car I think he realized the severity of the situation. Lol he actually rubbed my swollen footsies until I fell asleep once we got home! Both doc and hubby must have had a dang male pms moment! Haha
  • Oh! Good! So glad he took care of you and you're doing better. :-)