I'm so embarrassed but I need help!!!

edited July 2012 in Babies Health
My baby was sleeping through the night in his crib for the first 6 months or so. However in the last month or two he has been sleeping in our bed.

I have been lying to everyone telling them that he's still in his crib. I'm so embarrassed to say I've been lying about it, but I feel like a failure. This was the only thing I felt like I did right with my son.

Now when I try and put him in his bed he immediately wakes up and stands up, and cries. HELP!!! How can I get him to sleep in his crib again?!?

Comments

• It is okay!!! Be consistant my son slept with me until 7 months. When he started really moving I put him in his crib. It will go easier if you are a sahm just because you are going to have about a week of sleepless night. I put my to sleep like normal then lay him down. He woke up screaming (sometimes as soon as I layed him down) and I got him, put him back to sleep tried again. The first few night we did this until he couldn't stay awake anymore. Now he only sleeps with me when I nap with him or when I get to lazy to get up I bf him back to sleep.
  • edited July 2012
    No need to feel embarrassed.,my son is 13 months and still sleeps in the bed with us. :) Have him start taking naps in his crib first, and then after a few days of that have him sleep at night in the crib. It might take a little bit, but it's doable :)
  • @char i'm not asahm... It's going to be along week when I finally start. Thank you for the advice
    @ericak22 thank you too. My son is a crazy sleeper and it's getting too hard. He's nine months now.
  • Oh dont be embarrassed! My daughter started still all night in her crin at 3 months.. at 7 months she'd sleep for 3 hours in her crib then refused to sleep in there after midnight. It was so weird. I have no real advice considering I'd sleep in the recliner or in bed with my baby. After about 5 weeks she went right back to her crib like nothing every happened. So I said all that to say don't be embarrassed.
  • @mom2ing thanks I just don't get a good nights sleep with him in bed with us. I feel bad for saying that but it's the truth.

@1stwoodsbaby I'm hoping once I lower his crib he will be able to be left alone. Right now he's too tall and I've been asking his dad to lower it for two weeks now!!

Sex is getting more difficult with him in our bed every night.
  • @jess510 I slerp much better with my son in his bed. When he sleep with me he darn near lays on me all night and wakes up screaming if I move. Good luck do you have any vacation time you could use while transitioning to crib or a long weekend first few days.
  • I'm going through the same thing so far the advice that works for me I feed him then when he falls asleep I stand him up (wake him up a little) I say good night Brody I lay him in his bed and if he doesn't close his eyes and go back to bed I gently rock his mattress and put my hand on his chest and talk quietly to him. I also bought something that sings and puts pictures on the ceiling. If he starts crying a lot I pick him up feed again (I nurse and he is a comfort nurser so he eats for a few seconds before dozing off again) and I rock him in chair. Then I do it all over again. The first day was rough second was easiest today was fairly rough again but its working. Consistency is key. I make it a habit to feed him in his room before all naps so he knows what to expect. Cry it out method didn't work for us. He will get back to it just be patient. Brody never slept in his crib until now. With working full time it was easiest to co-sleep but now my fiance and I have no sex.life :( if you start it on a Friday and just stay home all weekend to make being in his room consistent by beginning of next week give or take a few days he should be in his bed again. Make sure he is partially awake or opens his eyes when you lay him down because they go through sleep wake cycles and if things aren't as they were when they went to sleep they wake up fully. Look up Dr sears sleep wake cycle. I don't remember the actual name but it makes sense. Good luck. Sorry I wrote a book!
  • @wilsomom ... We need you!
  • @ynvtish - I've never had any of mine sleep with me lol, so idk exactly how to do it.
    My recommendation would be the scheduled sleep/eat/wake cycle like on the other thread. If anyone's interested I can tag you, it's kind of long, but explains how to get a baby sleeping through the night.
  • I agree with consistency. Mine never slept with me, and were/have been sleeping all night every night since 1 and 1/2-2 months old. You just have to pick a schedule/routine and keep at it!
  • I've had the flu for a few days and an off work today and tomorrow.I've decided tonight is the night!! I brought my recliner in his room and will sleep in here the entire night if I have to. He's standing in his crib now..i'm just waiting for him to get tired.
  • He's now just sat down... I'm hoping he lays down son. When I checked on him he started laughing at me
  • Omg he's laying down!!!! Let's just hope he falls asleep!!
  • And he's up again
  • Roll over. He'll get bored of looking at your back, and knows he's not missing out on anything. That's how I get my son to take naps in his crib because it's in our room.
  • im going throough the same problem.. but its also a problem with me because i miss her so much and then i end up losing sleep staring at her in her crib making sure shes okay. (her crib isnt even an inch away from my bed lol.) i love the feeling of looking at her to make sure shes okay when i open my eyes then going back to sleep. and she does the same with me she will open her eyes to see if im there and then she'll go back to sleep if im not there she'll cry :( but i need to get her in her crib soon because im waking up wayy too sore and we might be moving soon! (..but more because we might be moving soon lol.)