my mother-in-law

So my daughters first birthday is next month and i called to tell my mother in law when the party is. She says well i'm not coming. This is her 2nd grandchild. The first one she never sees because he lives out of state. Anyway I asked her why and she said because John and Lani (husbands dad and stepmom)will be there. They divorced 17 years ago. They are 63 years old!!! Not teenagers! So instead she will miss out on her party just because they are coming. She lives 5 minutes from where the party will be held. I am upset about this. Its not about her its about Aubree! My husband says he isn't mad,because he understands why she doesn't want to come. They have not spoken since my husband was a teenager. So is it going to be like this at every event that Aubree has??!! So she wants me to have 2 partys. We all live in the same town and i'm not doing it to please her. Am I over reacting?

Comments

• It honestly wouldn't bother me, but I despise my mother in law with a passion.. but like you said is about Aubree, so if she wants to act stupid ignore her. Besides if she hasn't talked since your husband was a teenager it would make that day a very ackward one for everybody if she goes.
  • No ur no over reacting she needs to think about does she really want to miss out on everythang becuz of them its really not worth it ur rite there not teenagers, very selfish on her part she shuld be thinking about the baby not herself
  • I understand why you're upset, BUT she id.missing out, not you. If she wants to act dumb and miss out then it is her loss.
  • She has a close relationship with my husband. And she did this to our wedding. His sisters wedding and her college graduation. They both just have so much hate towards eachother. But there will be 50 people at her party. She doesn't have to talk to them. She needs to put her issues with his dad to the side. They were married for 27 years! Divorced 17 yrs now. Its just sad. And frustrating!
  • 17 years is a long time to be hating someone.. I wonder what happened between them for them to feel that way towards each other.. they sure are acting stupid.
  • She is a very controlling person. Very selfish. He didn't cheat on her or anthing like that. But he left her,because she was always wanting things her way. He came home one day and saw her scrubbing the floors in her bra and underwear and her hands were bleeding. She is OCD to the max about her house being cleaned. So he had her admitted into a mental health facility for it. She would clean for days straight without sleeping. Shortly after they divorced. So i think she resents him for that. But she isn't that bad anymore.
  • He hates her because when my husband was 8 they divorced. And she would tell him things about his dad that weren't true. He had joint custody. But his siblings are older than him and knew how his mom is and they have always taken their dads side. Where as my husband takes his moms. So my husband didn't really have a relationship with him. Until about 9 years ago. To this day she still talks bad about him.
  • Sounds like she is a self-centered controlling beast of a woman. I say screw her! If you accommodate her now, she'll always expect it. She needs to grow up! Don't feel bad, do what you have to do, especially if your husband is ok with it.