People coming from out of the country to visit

edited August 2012 in Health
Tomorrow my bfs extended family is coming to visit from Ecuador. I know for a fact they will want to meet our son. I'm not too keen on the idea of it really. I mean, they could be sick, and then our son catches it.

What would you do? I was planning on taking a really long walk when they get here so they won't get to hold/kiss/hug on him. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to risk it. Like they can see him and everything..I just don't want them touching him.

Comments

• Have you mentioned this to your BF? i understand why you feel this way.. im not sure how I'd go.about it either.
  • As them nicely to wash their hands. You can always ask if anyone had been sick in the lady week too. If they say yes, then you can leave with more of a say for your sons health.
  • I think that is a little unfair and slightly irrational. Hope that doesn't offend. Just because someone is from another country doesn't make them living carriers of disease. Like @mijita said, you can politely ask to wash hands, but that family is your child's family. I would be extremely offended if anyone in my family did that and didn't want me to be around the baby :(
  • I agree with captivated. I would be upset. I have people who would be extreamly upset. You can inform them that you would like them to wash their hands. Stuff like that. But if they are coming to visit, they probably wouldnt take kindly to not even touching him. I understand your concerns. They are family and deserve to see baby too.
  • edited August 2012
    I have to agree too with captivated.
  • I understand where u are concerned. Maybe have bf ask them to wash their hands first? Say that u don't want baby getting sick. I wouldn't be offended if I was asked. I definitely feel the same concern as u but I think them holding baby would be unavoidable. I'm not saying ppl from other countries have diseases but they could be immune to something that we are not exposed to if that makes any sense lol
  • Ask ur pediatrician if there is any shot, I know they have this shot for adults n kids to prevents diseases for when u travel to a country u never been bfore . u can always ask them to wash their hand, n u can always carry hand sanitizer with u.. All I know its tha I would def be offended and upset if I was to travel all the way here to enjoy some quality time with family that I havent meet yet and I dnt get to touch,kiss,hug them.. It just wouldnt b fare. Plus remember when u travel from some countries in south america even just as a tourist they always required for u to b tested for any ''danger'' diseases bfore they can give u a visa.
  • True @Vanessa_mom2b I didn't think of the shot or the testing. That would be reassuring
  • If your child is vaccinated, you don't have much to worry about as well. These vaccinations cover the majority of illnesses acquired from those countries :)
  • Just a side note, don't wanna make u worry but just BC they are up to date on their shots doesn't mean they cannot get an illness. Just extremely lessens the chance. Let us know how it goes!! :)
  • @amb2486 exactly! Plus I don't get my son every vaccination. And a few times they've came someone ends up in the hospital with TB!!! Their already here and he's just running around. I've never seen these ppl in my life, and our whole house is full of people..like 30 of them!! My bfs never even seen half of these people before either! I guess it has something to do with me not like large crowds of ppl as well..I start getting sweaty, and start feeling like a panic attack is coming on. :|
  • Awe maybe hid out for a while while they are there so they don't have to be arouse babe too much.
  • @trixiesmom8 that's what I did lol I even went outside while everyone was eating to avoid feeling panicked.
  • Well good I'm glad. I am dreading all my family coming over in a couple weeks for my grandpas bday party. There will be people there I haven't seen in YEARS and they will be meeting my nine month old for the first time, I'm going to be a nervous wreck!