Opinions please

Hi ladies. I need yalls opinions, please. Last July my parents house burned. Not completely to the ground, but they lost everything, even 2 of the 3 cars Had to strip the house of everything and start totally over with just the foundation. They've been
Iivingwith my grandparents while they rebuilt their house. They are close to being back in their house... But once they get back in they won't have furniture, decorations, towels, washrags, any kitchen utensils, nothing. Basically all theyll have is a house. Nothing to live with. It's my parents and 2 younger brothers. So I've been thinking of throwing them a "house warming" party so they could get some of the necessities to live. But I'm not sure if people would think that's tacky. I know house warming parties are for people who buy their first house and have nothing...but my family really has nothing. Everything had to bethrown away. So what are yalls opinions... Tacky or no?

Comments

• Not at all tacky. Emergencies like that negate tackiness :) I think its sweet. I hope you have a good showing.
  • I don't think it's tacky, I would go if it happened to someone I knew!
  • Given the situation I think people would understand and not think its tacky
  • I think people would understand that they need the help and be whiling to help. I don't think its racket at all
  • @angie87 @morgdeebee @redshadoe0 @pregnantelf
    Thanks ladies. I'm pretty sure the close friends of my parents would totally support it as well. Just wanted to make get others opinions first.
  • Absolutely a great idea! What a great daughter you are. :)
  • I'm sure people would be MORE than happy to help!! And they can get a lot of household items at the dollar tree, just as temporaries and replace them little by little.
  • Do it! its not tacky not one bit--specially knowing their situation
  • Tacky after a house fire & they lost everything...not at all! What a great idea! Good luck!
  • Maybe get some people at the church to make some things and then throw a silent auction to help out as well??
  • That sounds like a great idea! Maybe even a BBQ benefit style?
  • For sure a GREAT idea. Not one bit tacky. Go for it.
  • edited August 2012
    Did they have cost of replacement insurance? If so their insurance company should be footing the bill for their personal belongings.

Otherwise have the party!!!
  • I think it's a wonderful idea!
  • Not tacky at all. I think people would come given the circumstance
  • @Char Yes their insurance started out being a lot of help but then their adjuster turned into a butt and was giving them the absolute lowest amount for every time so they didn't get anywhere near what things cost today. Also having to rebuild an entire house and buy 2 new cars (2 of the 3 burned also) the insurance money is started to spread thin. They paid off the house before they started building on it, so that took a lot of the money as well.
  • Thanks everyone!!
  • Such a great daughter you are!
  • I think its great you're helping them out:) people will understand. My friends daughters apt caught fire and she lost everything...people donated so much to her she had too much stuff. People do like to help and would be glad to help. Maybe you could make tbe theme like a re-birth type thing...like a fresh start party:)
  • I think its a great idea