epidural? please help!!

edited August 2012 in Health
Has anyone ever had an epidural go wrong?
What was your symptoms?
What did they do?
Please help had a terrible experience, they had to do it twice and second time pushed the needle in to far. X

Comments

• Mine (my first son) didn't work on half on my body. Like, only half was numb. I had intense back pain while they did it and I've had back problems ever since. I went all natural for my second and for any others I may have.
  • @ynvtish I BELIEVE had a weird experience.. if I remember correctly. If not, sorry! Must of.dream it. Lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had a horrible experience! I went in to be induced and was doing great until I got my epidural...I don't know if it was bc of the epidiral or not but my sons heart rate stopped...the moved me around and got it back and broke my water, and his hr stopped again, so I was rushed to have a c- section. The epidural didn't have time to take effect, they kept poking me to see if I could feel it, and the Dr kept putting more and more of the medicine into me. Last thing I remember was feeling the numb tingly feeling to my throat and trying to tell then I could hardly breath...then them saying my oxygen levels were dropping and them forcing air into me via bag. I woke up 3 hrs later still needing assistance to breath and numb from my neck down. I had to stay in recovery till I could feel to my waist...needless to say I didn't get to see my son for 4 hrs, and was numb from my waist down into the next evening. Sorry that was so long!
  • I had the epidural headache after the birth. It was a total nightmare of a headache. The pain was so bad i couldnt move or i would throw up. Had to have 3 different blood patches. :( what kind of symptoms r u having?
  • I also had the headaches and would get light headed often. The Dr who did mine didn't want to do a blood patch and just gave me pain pills and told me to drink mountain dew or anything w a lot of caffeine in it.
  • @1stwoodsbaby ... An epi that works is WONDERFUL BUT one thats not done right is HORRIBLE!

I was just like @mommyof3girls

My epi was done incorrectly and created a spinal leak. What happens is the fluid your brain floats in begins to leak down into your spine. The fluid passes through your head... Ears... Neck.... Shoulders... And then lower back.

When theres a leak and the brain sags in the fluid it causes pressure on all of the places connected to the spine. In some cases it may just be one or two places.

From my leak I had a migraine, my ears were clogged it was hard to hear. I felt like someone had their hands over my ears. My eyes were sensitive to light.... I had to keep the lights low or wear sunglasses. Also my shoulders felt like someone was sitting on them. Like a heavy feeling.. kinda like my spine couldn't support the weight of my head. And my back felt like I slipped a disc in the lower part.

The crazy thing was when I laid flat on my back... Every single one of these symptoms disappeares IMMEDIATELY! Then when I sat up... They would come right back like a light switch.

Reason why was the brain sagged in the fluid sitting or standing up but when I laid down it would float correctly.

I had to have 2 blood patches done. One after delivery... She didn't do it correctly so it never worked. I went back a.week later and had it done again.

It's amazing you go in completely in pain. They take the blood from your hand and injected it immediately into your spine to create like a cork to stop the leak. You feel hella pressure but seconds later EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOMS IS GONE! You walk out feeling like a brand new person.
  • I'm sorry you all had bad experiences. Reading more horror stories is why I decided NOT to get one.

My sister in law got one and her back still hurts and her daughter was born jan of 2011! not cool
  • @YNVTish you could not have discribed it better.
  • My first one was done three times and did not work. My second was great. No problems since.
  • @YNVTish that's my symptoms, its horrible, think al phone hospital.
  • @star1990 drink as much water as u can... Like to the point of where u feel like u just cant possibly drink any more. Lay down flat as much as u can and for sure call about a blood patch if u r infact having the headache. Drink drink drink tho. *hugs* hope u feel better SOON!
  • @Leggs2011 I'm with you! I had pitocin and no epi, but after all the horror stories I've read or had friends experience- I'm totally okay with it!
  • I also had pitocin with a foley bulb and still refused to have an epi. The pain of pushing a 9 lb baby wasn't as bad as I thought it would have hurt. And I am a big wuss usually. I was so focused on breathing and pushing I didnt even think about screaming :) @MrsStanley_x2
  • @Leggs2011 that's exactly how I was!! Mine were 5 lbs respectively, but I had twins. Lol still ended up with stitches, though. Haha I went into almost a trance and just kept telling myself it would be over soon!
  • Mine didn't work, and I was sore for a few days and they poked me 3 different times but I'm fine now thank god
  • @star1990 ... I feel so deeply for you if you're going through this. Call the doctor immediately and force them to give you a patch. Beg... Beg... And beg.... They may try and change your mind tho. They'll tell you that a patch can cause an infection in your spine and leave you unable to walk... And you should give it 4 to 6 weeks to heal its self..

I was at he point where I didn't give a Damn.. I was just oh so done with laying helpless and feeling miserable. Depression was starting to kick in.

I delivered my daughter and couldn't even come home to enjoy and care for her. I had to lay in the bed.. drink Pepsi after Pepsi.. pop pain killers and "watch" all the visitors come and handle my newborn. My honey.. who doesn't have kids and never handled a baby had to make do and take care of Haylee for one week. I think the hardest thing of having the leak was not being able to be the mother to your fresh out the womb baby.those nine months of dreaming how things would be when you come home from the hospital... Shattered!

All I could do was take care of myself... And couldn't even do that well.