Positions during birth

edited March 2011 in Giving birth
I have never given birth before, but when I think about being there, I don't want to be on my back with my feet in stirrups. It just seems like I would make it harder for myself and baby to come out that way. I mean, (and I know this is TMI) when I use my "lady toy" on my downtime it seems like if I am on my back that the canal down there is closed more than if I'm not on my back and it's harder to push thru. I'm wondering what other positions hospitals let you give birth in and if they're comfortable? (Again, sorry for the dirty reference.)

Comments

• You can be in any you find comfortable. On all fours is a good one x
  • There are so many as long as ur not on an iv you can do just about any position u can think of
  • what if I were to get an epidural? Can I refuse an IV? I'm just not looking forward to the hospital interfering or making me do something I'm not comfortable doing. I've heard things from other moms and if I wasn't terrified I would probably do it at home.
  • If u get an epudural they will want u to be in bed the whole time I had one with my first and felt no pain....I'm gonna try to go natural this time cuz I want to be able to get in the jacuzzi and what not.
  • See and sometimes they just give you the epidural or pitocin. Ugh, maybe I can just see if I can get my doctor on the same boat. Did you know the United States has the most deaths of newborns and moms during birth than any country in the world? Makes no sense with all the technology and medicine.
  • That's crazy. I'm going with a midwife this time cuz I feel like they listen more. Also you should make a birthing plan so your wishes are followed. There are tons of outlines online and some sample ones
  • @coolbabybeans A midwife sounds like a terrific idea. Where are you planning to deliver? I heard the second birth most likely goes quicker? Although I don't think I would be considered high risk, I don't think I have the balls to go natural. (Pardon my french lol)
  • Lol were doing it in the hospital I'm not sure I will be able to make it all the way without any meds but I don't remember a lot about the 1st birth cuz of the drugs. And this time my hubby will be there so I wanna be a little more clear ;) I sure hope its quicker cuz I don't think I can do 18 hours natural
  • Does your insurance cover a midwife? To be honest I don't want the drugs either. Poor baby has to come into the world all doped up, it just sounds like such a bad thing for them. Might as well take percocet for cramps with that mentality. Do you feel like with your first birth there has been any side effects of how you gave birth? What made you feel like you wanted to change it up this time around?
  • My midwives accept my insurance. They're cheaper than an OB, the insurance should be happy!

I already told my midwife that I want a natural birth and that I'm interested in a vertical birth. She told me that they will get me in whatever position gets that baby moving best.