Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What I found interesting is the history/origin of the growth charts, how they don't want to update the charts to accommodate the growing obesity trend and how the WHO chart is referenced on breastfed infants.

I found this statement interested and reflects the concern some moms expressed here...
    ”Clinicians should be aware that fewer U.S. children will be identified as underweight using the WHO charts, slower growth among breastfed infants during ages 3--18 months is normal, and gaining weight more rapidly than is indicated on the WHO charts might signal
    early signs of overweight.”

@mama_kat
  • I agree with @mama_kat and also I personally think people are way to fast to judge. For example people keep saying that my daughter is big. I think it's because they are looking at her cheeks they are super full and cute to me. But the fact is she is 8 months and weights 16 pounds 5 oz. And she is 26 in long so like when I use the calculator online she's like 20th percentile. I don't think that's big. But who knows now days there are charts everywhere and later in life we judge each other off of those charts. What happened to eating healthy and good portions and being active. I know I try my best to do that for my daughter without over doing it since she's just a baby. So for people to say she's big is crazy. I think she's heathy :). We really do just need to focus on the development over all make sure kids are growing at good paste
  • The charts are based on averages of children at a given age. It's only used as a guide to ”gauge” how your child is growing over time. Dr.s use these charts loosely and don't explain what they are looking for with their patients.

We as a society are very fast to judge when it comes to vanity, especially weight. We have glamorized the female body (as well as male), and unfortunately we are teaching our children younger and younger. I agree that people are quick to judge. As long as your child is growing, eating and hitting her milestones I would disregard any inappropriate comments.

Back to the growth charts, physicians use it as a preventive measure. Some conditions are not diagnosed until late stages and harder to treat (i.e. overweight/obesity), or patients refuse to see it as an issue until its too late and habits have been formed. I think physicians need to clarify their interpretations and express their expectations so that parents don't leave feeling discouraged or reprimanded for what they perceive as bad parenting.

It all boils down to things being misconstrued, which is not surprising in our fast food health care.

When Dr.s say, your child is in the 80th percentile, I wish more parents would say, ”what does that mean, is that bad, can you explain what this means and how/why it's important for my child?” @captivated posted a few days ago about purposeful dumbing down our children. This is the same concept. We expect our Dr.s to be right, so we don't question them. Then we go home frustrated, and guessing what they meant, thus feelings of bad parenting ensue.

@jules