oh the joys of being a military spouse

So hubby went TDY (out of town for work) on Thursday... He's supposed to be back Monday, so nice quick trip right? Psh... Something breaks and all the sudden he miiiiiight be home Tuesday... Maybe. Meanwhile, there's a hurricane coming and I'm left to prepare for it by myself. Wonderful!!! I've never been thru a hurricane... I don't think it'll get bad enough for them to evacuate us. So I'm trying to get things together at home. I can handle it and all but what upsets me the most is I'm supposed to have another ultrasound on Wednesday (the day the storm is supposed to hit). Sometimes I think the baby didn't show me a heartbeat last week bc it was waiting for daddy. (silly, I know) So now, I'm worried about riding the hurricane out by myself and having to miss the ultrasound!!!

Damn you Isaac!!!

Comments

• Oh.... LOVELY.... hubby just texted and said they aren't coming back now because of the storm. WONDERFUL! :-(( Ok ladies, spin me up on this hurricane BS... I've got water, food, flashlights, candles, radio, hygiene stuff.... what else??? HELP!!! :-S I'm so upset... I want him home so I'm not alone!
  • Aw that sucks he wont be home on time. You military spouses are strong ladies! Dont forget extra batteries for flashlights and radios.
  • I'm sorry, my hubby is a truck driver, so I feel for you. It sucks! Idk about hurricanes though...maybe a weather radio...generator, water. ?
  • First, I'm sorry he won't be home with you. :(
    Second, I've never been through any kind of natural disaster... but maybe a safety deposit box with your valuables, passports, etc.?

Stay safe!
  • ....oh, car cell phone charger in case no electric & fill up the gas tank.
  • Ice!!! If power goes out you'll need it. My husband has to go on DET for 3 Weeks...not looking forward to that. Be safe girl and try not to worry to much
  • It's no one you can stay with....when I was pregnant with my daughter we had a hurricane here and he had to go with his unit just incase people needed help if things got really bad. I stayed with my dad. But things didn't get to bad......do you have food that you can eat just incase the power goes out cause we didn't have power for a week
  • Keep us updated I will be thinking about you! What state do you live in?
  • Girl I know how you feel about the military thing, but I know nothing about hurricanes!!!

• The hurricane is supposed to hit here tomorrow night/Monday. It's still a category 1..so I don't think it will be that bad once it gets to you! You should be set with lots of water, canned foods, batteries, hygiene stuff, and candles!
  • @sands3 didn't even consider ice... *sigh* @proudmother1009 on the border of ms/al. @jazzie no family remotely close... Northern TN is.where a great aunt or cousin or something lives but I've never met them... Houston is where hubbys family is but that's 7 hrs... And I can't evacuate till the military says I can or they won't pay for it... And I sure as hell can't afford it. @wilsomom yes, phone chargers, check.

Send me back to the Midwest with tornados!!!! At least I don't have TIME to stress about it happening!!!!
  • edited August 2012
    @ericak22 its supposed to be a cat 2 by the.time it gets near us... Still not horrible I know, but I'm so stressed bc I don't know what to expect. I've got 3 cases of water, food, candles, flashlights, and batteries.... And wipes and stuff for hygiene
  • Where r u stationed??? I grew up in florida. Im a hurricane vet lol. Its nothing to worry about unless your in a mobile home. Dont even over stock stuff. Your get rain and wind thats about it. Once it hits land in florida it will get weak. Honestly durning these we have hurricane parties lol. Everyone goes to one house and drinks.
  • @RedShadoe0 Hey hun! Sorry the hubby can't get home sooner. :/ I myself have never been through a hurricane...Ohio doesn't have those. lol I even managed to be in Ohio when the tiny Tsunami hit Hawaii last in March 2011. I hope everything works out well and I'm sure @Kindell is right! My husband was stationed in VA a few years ago and said the same thing...hurricane party. lol
  • @kindell Biloxi. Haha and if I could drink, I guess that might destress my nerves. *sigh*
  • Dont worry. Youll be fine. If for some crazy reason it does get worse (it wont) you get in a room with no windows. The bathroom put pillows in there and a blanket. Then sit there til its over but i liked in fl in 04 we have 4 hurricanes in 2 months all of which were atleast cat 2. One was a 4. I slept thur that one next to a window in my room.
  • My husband just got a short notice tdy. Well might because the girl that's over there is having some family issues and he needs to take her place. 2 months in Eglin...at least its better than where he was previously supposed to go (Alaska)
  • That's where my hubby is @kayleigh27 .... Friggin Alaska!!!
  • edited August 2012
    Ouch yep he was atcually excited to go to Alaska his unit even gave him a friggen gortex! But now the girl thats in Eglin decided to finish up so he wont be going. Alaska would have been just a 1 month tour but I guess some other AMU is going in his place so its still up in the air. I told him if they send him to Alaska then tell them he never got a gortex so I could have one lol. :)

Ive only been on one tdy and it was to friggen Sheppard for 1 wk! Boring!
  • I am praying for you mama! This may be dumb but do you have any pets to keep you company. I have not been through a hurricane either so i am no help. What about other military people on base, can you rally together.
  • @jodi102011 yes I've got 3 dogs... HOPEFULLY the base let's me shelter at home... As of right now they want me sheltering on base with students.... I'm.active duty as well if I didn't tell yall. So I'm super worried bc this was a really recent change in policy so I didn't have plans for the dogs!! If I have to shelter, my poor dogs are screwed! And of course the.military doesn't care... Said I should have made plans. But how do I make plans if you change the rules?!?!?

So I threw the pregnancy in the mix and said sheltering on base, sleeping on tile floors and all that, would be to stressful on the pregnancy. I realllllllllly hope they agree.... I'll find out tomorrow. I'm so flippin stressed! Why can't the hubby just be HOME for this mess?!?!?!?!
  • Yuck. What a mess. Your poor doggies! They could be your guard dogs if they make you stay on base. Hah How the hell are you supposed to make arrangements for a damn storm you don't get a lot of notice for? Hopefully everything just blows over quickly and all goes back to normal. You're going to be just fine either way!
  • Fill up all your bathtubs and sinks with water so u can use it to flush toilets if your water and power are out, also make sure your cell phone is all charged up in case your out of power for a while....im a florida native and have been through plenty of hurricanes :/
  • @scarlettsmama oh!!! Amazing idea!! Thank you!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.