is it to late for me to exclusive pump *UPDATE

edited August 2012 in Breastfeeding
tomorrow my baby will be 2 weeks old I squeeze my breast and some milk come out and every other feeding my breast hurt
if its not late to pump my milk out...I would like to know what kind of pump is best..and does it matter if she drinking 2 1/2 oz of forum milk will I make 2 oz of milk by pumping..and is it true I should take iodine because I have hypothyroidism to help with my baby eyes brain and how long should I pump?

Comments

• You can still pump
  • Yes, it will require some work but it is doable. Have you tried latching baby?
  • @Mijita yes i have the first 4 days she wasn't getting anything i had to formula feed because she had jaundice
  • The pain is likely an improper latch. Have you tried different positions? This can not only help correct the latch, but the more comfortable & relaxed you are, the easier it will be.
  • I recommend Lansinoh. I have both, the electric, and manual pumps. I like using the manual between feedings and the electric when baby is absent since it gives more milk. It has adjustable levels of suction and when you first turn it on, it does fast, soft suctions to stimulate a perfect letdown.
  • Medela freestyle has been working for me for 9 months so far. The newer model has a rechargeable battery which is great.
  • You should pump 3to 5 mins longer after the last drop of milk comes out to boost pumping production...and remember even if no milk comes out your still stimulating your body to make milk... Just keep on trying sweetie, its so worth it
  • First two months i pumped & used formula by 3 months, i had so much breastmilk, i was freezing bags after bag n i still had enough milk for my Baby. Just keep pumping. Try every 2 hrs thats what i did. Sometimes nipples do get sore but it will go away.
  • I have the medela pump in style double electric one and love it. Like others said try to pump every 2 hours till you get a supply established.
  • I bought the medela pump in style double electric i got it on sale in babies r us..and i just use it and pump for 30 mins and from both breast i got 1tsp is this a good try and also my milk look alittle yellow is this normal.. and can i put all the milk i pump from today together or do i have to store separate

@trixiesmom8 @NylasMommy @ScarlettsMama @Crisjoe @Fate @misskristin @Mijita @EzrasMommy
  • Yeah, it always look a lil yellowish when theres barely any. I had the medela eletric pump. I always store mines seprately BC u always have to time n date it. just keep pumping n ull have lots of milk in no time :) ohhh just drink lots of hot water, eat soup & just stay hydrated k. in one day the most ive pump was 40 to 50oz. Wayyy to much milk, n alot went to waste BC I wouldnt give nyla the ones I had stored I would just pump a fresh bottle lol.
  • edited August 2012
    I would pump every time baby feeds. Try not to pump too long at first as you may get sore; I would say no longer than 20 minutes. Some would say to pump every two hours for 15-20 minutes. You'll see a gradual increase in milk production over the next few days. Make sure you remain consistent and do go more than 5 hours without pumping overnight. You should practice latching as well, this will help with lactation.

I don't think you need to supplement iodine if you are using table salt (others may advise differently). Just make sure to stay well hydrated and eat a well balanced diet. Congrats and good luck!
  • I say you can put todays together, as long as you have the same date it shouldn't matter, I never knew you had to put time on it too. I always make sure its in the freezer if I haven't used it within 24 hours.
  • Yess the yellow milk is high in colostrum and immune boosters...its like liquid gold!! Keep up the good work mama!! And yes u can add all the milk together after its cooled. If your trying to boost production, eat steelcut oats, its the least processed oatmeal and is high in golactagins(sp) which will boost your supply bigtime, also try a supplement called fenugreek and mothers milk tea ...it always works for me in that combo ;) the best thing to do to producd more milk is to nurse as much as possible, the baby can always learn to latch , and a babys suck is so much more efficient than any pump so she may be getting more milk than u get from the pump ;)
  • Nice choice. You can layer the milk from the same day. Pump for about 15-20 min every 2 hours to get your supply up.