biting please help

edited September 2012 in Ages & Stages
My son (10months ) just recently started biting himself when getting frustrated. Like if he is not getting his way he screams then bites his wrists. Is this a phase or what?! And how do I stop it ? Anyone else dealing with this or dealt with it

Comments

• Bump! It could be a phase but I am not sure i hope someone else can give you a better answer!
  • Thanks lady I hope it's a phase Idk how to stop it. I take his hand a way and I say no biting and rub his hand and he does it again.
  • Mine is biting when hes upset to, but he is biting me, my hubby ,or whoever made him mad.
  • edited September 2012
    Savanah is like @PregnantELF 's son and I hate it let me know if you find a solution lol. And she's 11 months started it around 10 months tho
  • edited September 2012
    I started showing positive reinforcement and she's either outgrown it or it helped. When she would hit my face, I would grab her hand and say, ”Be nice, like this” Then I would proceed by stroking my face softly. I did it every time and literally saw improvement with a week.

When she would throw tantrums, I would ignore it and redirect her attention. Redirect to something she/he likes, like a song, a favorite toy or book. I would give her her favorite book. She doesn't throw tantrums since about 11 months, she's almost 14. It worked for me, but I was super consistent and patient.

Good luck!
  • Florence is doing the same, she will bite herself, anyone close enough to grab or just the floor or sofa. I say ouch and try and re direct her but she seems to find it funny. It's a real pain but I'm sure she will grow out of it when she understands more x
  • A lot of kids this age go through a self-injury phase and its generally rooted in frustration. Hence why it shows up around 1-year (babies this age are gaining the ability to identify their needs but don't yet have the ability to communicate them). Baby sign language can help ease frustration by helping baby communicate his needs, and may help him talk sooner. Simple signs (words such as "more", "eat", "drink", or simply teaching him to point to an object of desire) are a good place to start.
  • If he's pointing to an object that he can't have, acknowledge what he's trying to tell you and then redirect with something else he wants. (Generally a redirection object will work better the messier it is. For example "I know you want mommy's cellphone, but how about this really cool [non-toxic/preferably washable] marker?")
  • That makes sense @math_mommy but he does it even when being put in his carseat. I hope it passes soon Lol
  • Hes 11 months